Wed. Sep 30th, 2026

RiversideLen

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,036 through 1,050 (of 2,650 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of April 3, 2022? #33625
    RiversideLen
    Participant

      I made a batch of my sandwich buns but withheld 2 buns worth of dough to make a pizza. So, for dinner I had pizza with roasted bell pepper, mushrooms, onion and sausage.

      in reply to: The Annual King Arthur April 1st blog post #33609
      RiversideLen
      Participant

        The mistakes are one of the ways we learn.

        in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of March 27, 2022? #33602
        RiversideLen
        Participant

          I roasted a salmon filet and had it with linguine and kale.
          I am going to roast another salmon filet tonight, this time seasoned with fresh grated ginger and a little garlic powder. I haven't decided on the sides yet, maybe with a salad.

          in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of March 27, 2022? #33592
          RiversideLen
          Participant

            I had a leftover pork chop, made gravy from the pan drippings that i saved from yesterday, had it with noodles and broccoli.

            in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of March 27, 2022? #33588
            RiversideLen
            Participant

              I made a pork chop, baked sweet potato and green beans.

              in reply to: Hot Water Heaters #33579
              RiversideLen
              Participant

                Water heaters have an anode in them. The purpose of it is to self destruct in order to save the water tank. The corrosive demons that naturally occur in the water tank attack the anode, thus saving the tank. The cheaper water heaters have a puny anode whereas the better ones have a beefier anode. I once read that the main difference between the heaters that have a 5 year warranty and the ones with a 15 year is the 15 year warranty has the better anode. The good news is the anode is usually replaceable. So, you might try this, make sure to draw off a gallon of water every now and then to keep the mineral deposit build up to a minimum and have the anode replaced every couple of years.

                in reply to: Hot Water Heaters #33575
                RiversideLen
                Participant

                  Sounds like that guy is giving you the super economy model, Italiancook.

                  My previous water heater lasted about 30 years. The plumber who installed it advised me to draw off about a gallon of water a couple times a year but to be careful when the unit gets older because it's possible the spigot won't shut completely (it was plastic). So I did that for about 10 years but then stopped. It lasted another 20 (it was a Rheem). I think I replaced it 7 years ago with another Rheem. This one has a brass ball valve for maintenance but it doesn't have a knob, I have to use a screwdriver. This one advises to draw off a gallon every month. So far, so good.

                  Go on Youtube for some water heater maintenance info and tips.

                  in reply to: Scales #33570
                  RiversideLen
                  Participant

                    I'm a big fan of measuring by weight. However, most recipes are not written that way and not everyone agrees to how much a cup of flour weighs.

                    in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of March 20, 2022 #33550
                    RiversideLen
                    Participant

                      Last night I made shrimp with pasta and cauliflower.

                      I have pizza dough left from the batch I made Thursday, so tonight's dinner will be pizza.

                      in reply to: Happy Birthday, CWCdesign! #33549
                      RiversideLen
                      Participant

                        Happy Birthday, CWCdesign, hope you have a great day!

                        in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of March 20, 2022 #33543
                        RiversideLen
                        Participant

                          I made a pizza last night, with thin sliced onion, mushrooms and green pepper. The sauce was pasta sauce with mushrooms that I thickened with a dollop of tomato paste. I made the dough with equal amounts of durum, semolina and whole wheat, hydrated at 70% and a couple of teaspoons of butter and olive oil. It came out pretty good.

                          in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of March 13, 2022? #33480
                          RiversideLen
                          Participant

                            I made stuffed peppers yesterday so for dinner I had a pepper with brown rice and mushroom gravy. I think I'll make mashed potato with tonight's pepper.

                            in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of March 13, 2022? #33446
                            RiversideLen
                            Participant

                              I had pizza pi with pepperoni, sausage, onion, red bell pepper and mushrooms.

                              in reply to: Any plans for Pi Day (3/14) on Monday? #33441
                              RiversideLen
                              Participant

                                Here's my pizza pi

                                Pizza-Pi‑1

                                Attachments:
                                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                                in reply to: Any plans for Pi Day (3/14) on Monday? #33432
                                RiversideLen
                                Participant

                                  Your pie sounds good, Mike.

                                  I'll be making a pizza pie for dinner.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 1,036 through 1,050 (of 2,650 total)