Thu. Oct 1st, 2026

RiversideLen

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 2,596 through 2,610 (of 2,650 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What Did You Cook the Week of January 1, 2017? #6174
    RiversideLen
    Participant

      Yes Italiancook, a strip roast is the piece they would cut strip steaks from if steaks were desired.

      in reply to: What Did You Cook the Week of January 1, 2017? #6169
      RiversideLen
      Participant

        On Jan 1, I roasted a strip roast. I followed Cook's Country recommendation and roasted it at 250. I used a probe type thermometer and removed it when it reached 125, then tented it and let it come up to 135, which was my target. Perfection! The internal color was absolutely even throughout with no gray banding at the edge.

        Today I wanted to try something a little different for a pizza, so I made a very simple mushroom tapenade. I rolled out the dough very thin, spread the tapenade over it, topped it with a light amount of mozzarella and baked it at 500 for 6 minutes. It was great. I have some tapenade left for tomorrow's pizza.

        in reply to: What Did You Cook the Week of December 25, 2016? #6143
        RiversideLen
        Participant

          I'm thinking dried mushrooms would add more depth of flavor than fresh.

          in reply to: What Did You Cook the Week of December 25, 2016? #6132
          RiversideLen
          Participant

            I've made veggie stock using celery, parsley, onion and carrots. It's decent, here's a link to recipe.

            Veggie Stock

            • This reply was modified 9 years, 9 months ago by RiversideLen.
            in reply to: A Sticky Situation with Sticky Buns #6079
            RiversideLen
            Participant

              I agree, it sounds like the pans were too small.

              in reply to: A Sticky Situation with Sticky Buns #6077
              RiversideLen
              Participant

                If I'm fearing an overflow, I put a half sheet baking pan lined with a sheet of parchment directly under the pan. The parchment can be reused if it doesn't get soiled.

                in reply to: Acorn Cookies by janiebakes #6057
                RiversideLen
                Participant

                  I used shortening, Nutiva, which is a combination of Palm and Coconut oils. The dough was crumbly but came together as I formed the cookies. I made them larger than the recipe calls for so I didn't get anywhere near the claimed 7 dozen. I added a teaspoon of Hazelnut Flavor since this cookie has a hazelnut theme. I'm not sure if my acorn shaping skills are spot on, I think not, but the cookies came out good. Really good flavor with the addition of the hazelnut flavoring. If I didn't have hazelnut flavoring I would definitely add some kind of flavor, vanilla if nothing else. For the fine ground hazelnuts, I used Hazelnut Flour from King Arthur.

                  In summary, I like these, I will make them again.

                  • This reply was modified 9 years, 9 months ago by RiversideLen.
                  • This reply was modified 9 years, 9 months ago by RiversideLen.
                  Attachments:
                  You must be logged in to view attached files.
                  in reply to: What Did You Bake the Week of December 4, 2016? #6056
                  RiversideLen
                  Participant

                    The Stollen is good but I think last years effort turned out better.

                    in reply to: What Did You Bake the Week of December 18, 2016? #6053
                    RiversideLen
                    Participant

                      Also made some cookies, Acorn Cookies from this site by janiebakes, Noel Nut Balls from Martha Stewart and Oatmeal Raisin cookies. For the Acorn cookies, I added a teaspoon of Hazelnut Flavor that I bought from The Spice House. That really gave it some good flavor, my brother thought it was butterscotch. After he said that I think he may be right, the hazelnut flavor does have butterscotch notes to it. Very nice though. The Noel Nut Balls call for a teaspoon of bourbon, pfft, I give it a tablespoon. The bourbon combines with the honey for a very nice flavor. For the oatmeal cookies, probably my favorite overall, I added a handful of dark and white chocolate chips.

                      I also made Stollen from Peter Reinhart's The Bread Baker's Apprentice.

                      Attachments:
                      You must be logged in to view attached files.
                      in reply to: What Did You Bake the Week of December 18, 2016? #6050
                      RiversideLen
                      Participant

                        First a made some bread, a small braided loaf, some sandwich buns and raisin cinnamon bread, all made from my oat/wheat recipe.

                        Attachments:
                        You must be logged in to view attached files.
                        in reply to: Merry Christmas! #6044
                        RiversideLen
                        Participant

                          Merry Christmas to all who celebrate it! Happy Holidays to all and Happy Boxing Day to those who celebrate that!

                          in reply to: What Did You Bake the Week of December 4, 2016? #6012
                          RiversideLen
                          Participant

                            Baker Aunt, I'm not sure, I won't be cutting into it until Christmas eve. I shaped it into a wreath so it came out skinnier than usual. I once saw Martha Stewart shape a stollen into a wreath, her's looked good, mine looks like a big doughnut.

                            • This reply was modified 9 years, 9 months ago by RiversideLen.
                            • This reply was modified 9 years, 9 months ago by RiversideLen.
                            Attachments:
                            You must be logged in to view attached files.
                            in reply to: What Did You Bake the Week of December 4, 2016? #5987
                            RiversideLen
                            Participant

                              Today I started soaking some KA fruitcake dried fruit in rum to used in stollen. I'll be making the recipe from Peter Reinhart's The Bread Baker's Apprentice. Speaking of which, I'm getting that book as a gift for someone, there is an updated 15th anniversary edition.

                              RiversideLen
                              Participant

                                Interesting but I'll pass on it for now. I don't have spare counter space either. And I don't want my appliances to be smarter than me!

                                in reply to: Hand Mixers #5973
                                RiversideLen
                                Participant

                                  We need the fix-it guy they had on the Andy Griffith Show, I can't think of that guy's name now. But if I recall, he was always tinkering with a toaster.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 2,596 through 2,610 (of 2,650 total)