What are you Cooking the Week of January 30, 2022?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of January 30, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I'm planning to start beef stock today, it's a 2-3 day process if I go the full remouillage route.

Then I'll make some vegetable beef soup.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

We had a simple supper of BLT'S and fries.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Tonight is chili out of the freezer.

chocomouse
          Participant

We had cheesesteak stuffed peppers, and have a couple left for lunches this week. That's the last of the pepper halves I froze last fall.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I made soup for Sunday dinner. I used 7 cups of turkey broth from the freezer, celery, carrots, mushrooms, and garlic sauteed in olive oil, browned ground turkey, 1 1/2 cups of the Bob's Red Mill Vegi Soup blend (lentils and split peas and barley), 1 Tbs. rehydrated dried onion, and 1 Tbs. Penzey's Ozark Seasoning. During the last five minutes, I added kale, then finished it off with 2 tsp. cider vinegar (balances out the kale). We have enough for several more meals, which is good, because very cold weather is slated to arrive by Wednesday.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

We're having meatloaf ,mashed potatoes and green beans.

chocomouse
                Participant

I made turkey soup today. I sauteed celery, onions, and carrots, thickened it with flour for a heartier texture, and added broth. I added chunks of turkey, plus thyme, garlic and onion powder, and Italian seasoning. Finally, I tossed in the last of a small bag of frozen mixed vegetables. This should help us through this week of below zero cold topped off with another ice and snow storm on Thursday-Friday. We've had 16 nights below zero so far this season, unusual even for Vermont.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I love knowing what people put in their soups, Chocomouse! "Stone Soup" is always so good.

On Monday, I made yogurt.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

We had some more of the hamburger vegetable soup and pimento cheese sandwiches and will have some of the coconut cream pie I made last night.I was happy this morning when I cut a piece and it held it's shape and wasn't runny.That was my breakfast...pie topped with whip cream and coffee.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

Tonight I'm making a big (12 quart) pot of vegetable beef soup.

cwcdesign
                        Participant

Last night I made an Alfredo pasta with roasted broccoli. I sautéed chicken sausages to go with it for Will who wanted meat with dinner. All I wanted was the pasta. A nice warm dinner.

Italiancook
                          Participant

Mike, that's a LOT of veggie beef soup! The most I've ever made at one time is 8 quarts.

This morning, I'm preparing spicy short ribs to refrigerate until lunch tomorrow. I forgot to buy prepared horseradish yesterday, which is in the recipe. Internet says good substitutes are wasabi products, which I don't have. My husband uses a grainy spicy mustard, so I'm going to use that and hope for the best.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

Yeah, it is, but I find large batches easier to make than smaller ones, not that much more work but a lot more output. I started out by making about 14 quarts of beef stock, too.

Anyway, there will be several containers of soup in the freezer shortly, as well as several containers of beef stock.

And the beef from the stock that didn't go in the soup is going into barbecue sauce for a fairly low fat barbecue beef.

chocomouse
                              Participant

I made a simple potato salad and a broccoli salad to go with the ribs we will be cooking on the grill for dinner tonight. Apparently, BakerAunt is sending her storm our way when it is done with her! Rain all day tomorrow (it's 40* here now), then snow tomorrow night through Friday. We are forecast to get 12-18 inches, but I'm thinking it might dump most of that on the Midwest, before it arrives here.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

Chocomouse it must be potato salad day cause that's what we had too with fried chicken and peas with snaps.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.