What are you Cooking the Week of February 13, 2022?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of February 13, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

It's Super Bowl Sunday, what's on your table today?

We made cheese dip, which we'll have with apples and chips, and ham for an early supper.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

We had leftover vegetable hamburger soup with pimento cheese sandwiches,I had bologna sandwich.

Which reminds me when we bought groceries Friday I picked up a pound of Oscar Mayer thick beef bologna and it was more than the small fryer Bologna-$7.19 fryer-$6.83 damn.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

These days you have to be pretty flexible in your meal and menu planning, constantly asking yourself two questions:

1. Can I find the ingredient(s) I need?
          2. Can I afford the ingredient(s) I need?

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I'm also making baked beans: 2 cans pork and beans, 3/4 cup brown sugar and 1 teaspoon dry mustard, topped with 1/2 cup ketchup and 3-4 slices of fatty bacon, throw it in the oven for 3 hours at 325.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Your bake beans is about the same as I do but I add onion & use prepared mustard in place if dry.

I made some Old Fashioned Fudge last night that turned out good,I didn't think my thermometer would ever come up to 238* then a lot of stirring but was worth it .My husband was a happy camper.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/9420/old-fashioned-chocolate-fudge/

This is the link.

BakerAunt
              Participant

You are certainly spoiling your husband in a birthday week of treats, Joan!

I cut open our second Pumpkin-Spaghetti Squash hybrid from our garden. It has lasted well. It had a very hard shell, so it took some effort to get it cut into halves, so that I could roast it. This is the one that started out green (see 2021 Garden Thread), then slowly ripened in late August and early September. My husband cut it from the vine sometime in October. I will use 2 cups of it in bread I plan to bake tomorrow, and I froze a 2-cup and an 11.4 oz. container. My plan is to use it solely in sandwich breads, as it is fairly bland.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

Getting from roughly 234 to 240 is usually very time-consuming, but once it hits 240 the rate at which it gets hotter speeds up. Some caramels get cooked to the mid 240's, I've been known to lose my attention span in the 234-240 zone and it hits 250 before I know it, at which point you're somewhere between caramel and toffee.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

For our Valentine's Day dinner on Monday, I made Maple Glazed Pork Tenderloin, small red potatoes boiled in their skins, then tossed in olive oil and salt. We had microwaved frozen mixed vegetables. Dessert was two of the little Hazelnut Cakes I baked yesterday and coated with vanilla glaze and Valentine's sprinkles.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

We talked about a number of options, but wound up just getting takeout (onion rings, chili and cinnamon rolls.)

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

We had fried pork chops ,rice, lima beans and tomato gravy.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Tonight we had meatloaf,mashed potatoes and fried okra.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

We had leftover turkey, leftover brown rice mixed with gravy, and microwaved frozen peas for dinner. It was good that I did not have to cook a new meal because I spent all afternoon on the phone with Tracfone, most of it on hold, and did not get the problem resolved of their website not allowing me to log into my account. I will give it a rest and try again tomorrow. I suspect their website is having some kind of major problem, but the people I talked to would not admit it, and they did not want to go off script to resolve the problem.

cwcdesign
                            Participant

last night we had leftover homemade pizza. Tonight I made a chef's salad with homemade thousand island dressing. the salads greens are a mix of leftover spinach, Bibb and cilantro that I'm adding a small head of romaine to. Mix ins are turkey, ham and Swiss from the deli, cucumbers, carrots, tomato and hearts of palm (those were on sale).

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

Most first-line tech support people don't seem to know much more about their equipment than I do, sometimes not even that much. Yeah, they've got a log book of suggested fixes, beyond that they're often not much help.

If you can get the incident raised to second-level support, you're more likely to be talking to someone who knows the product, but sometimes you have to get to the third-level support before you're talking to the real experts.

Back when I was running Oracle software, I ran into an install problem that got accelerated all the way to the Oracle development team, and the NCR Unix operating system development team got involved as well. It took us something like six weeks and several sets of software install releases to get it fixed, and then it turned out to be an NCR issue not an Oracle one.

This turned out to be an issue they'd been trying to solve for months. I got pretty good treatment from both Oracle and NCR support teams after that, or at least I didn't have to spend time convincing the first-level support teams I knew what I was talking about. (Both companies gave me support codes that got me to the second-level support quickly.)

My wife recently spent over an hour on the phone to Apple trying to solve a problem we're having with our mini-homepods, with no progress. Apple support has never impressed me.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

Tonight we had baked chicken, macaroni and cheese, green butter beans and coleslaw.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.