What are you Baking the Week of January 30, 2022?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of January 30, 2022?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

No baking plans here yet, if I get ambitious I might make laminated dough since this is National Croissant Day.

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

I baked up the last of the cranberry-coconut refrigerator cookies I made for the Christmas cookie tray.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I baked my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers on Tuesday from the dough I made last week and allowed to rest in the refrigerator.

BakerAunt
          Participant

With snow expected early Wednesday morning, and a winter storm warning, I decided on Tuesday evening to make the dough for Cinnamon Swirl Pumpkin Rolls--a recipe that I adapted from King Arthur--shape and refrigerate overnight to bake in the morning. I increased the amount of whole wheat flour I include, so it is now 1 3/4 cups AP, 2 1/4 cups WW, 2 Tbs. flax meal, and 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats. I had about 10 oz. pumpkin puree rather than 8 oz; I still needed 2 Tbs. buttermilk.

I set the baking dish (9 1/2 x 9 1/2) out to warm up on Wednesday morning, then baked and glazed before devouring two. My husband will appreciate them when he comes in from shoveling snow. (He started the day with oatmeal.) Our area is forecast to get repeated snowfall throughout today and tomorrow, and it is the wet, heavy snow. To make matters worse, we had warmer weather yesterday and rain, so there is ice under the snow.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

We've had only one or two measurable snowfalls this season, and most of the state is well under the usual total snowfall. And in the Sierra Nevadas in California, while the early season snowfalls were heavy, they're now showing signs of insufficient snow pack, too.

BakerAunt
              Participant

We had no measurable snow until the third week of January when we got four inches, which has mostly stayed around, in spite of yesterday's temperatures in the mid-40s. As of today, my husband, who just completed his third shoveling session, tells me there have been five inches, and he will have to go out again. The temperatures are in the mid-20s.

chocomouse
                Participant

I made Gooey Blueberry Rolls posted by Anna on the original Baking Circle. They are delicious.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Blueberry rolls sounds so good.

chocomouse
                    Participant

Joan, they are good! Use whatever dough you would typically use for sweet rolls. For the filling, mix 3 ounces of cream cheese, 1 egg, about 1/3 cup of sugar, and some vanilla. I also added 2 tablespoons of flour because I was afraid it would be too runny. Spread this over the rolled out dough (about 15 x 24") and then sprinkle about a cup of blueberries over it. Roll up and slice into 12 rolls. Bake. Spread with a cream cheese frosting/glaze while they are still warm from the oven.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

Thanks Chocomouse I'll be trying these.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

I used the adaptation of the Cranberry-Pistachio Biscotti recipe that I baked last December to make a mixed fruit-pistachio biscotti. This time, I used 2/3 white whole wheat. As I did last time, I microwaved the dried fruit, which was a mixture of two different kinds from King Arthur that have been around for a while, in 1 Tbs. of water, then let it rest before using it in the biscotti. I cut them thinly, so I ended up with about 44 biscotti. I will cut the initial baking time by five minutes next time, as they were slightly overbrowned on the bottom.

RiversideLen
                          Participant

I made a pound cake from a box mix. I added 3/4 dried fruit to it (KA fruitcake mix). It came out nice but I could have put in more fruit.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.