What are you Cooking the Week of February 6, 2022?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of February 6, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

We have a turkey thawing (since last Tuesday!) that was not ready to roast for Tuesday dinner, so I made my healthier rendition of my mom's hamburger stroganoff, which we had over a mixture of brown rice and mixed wild rice. We also had microwaved frozen peas.

chocomouse
      Participant

Tonight we had baked beans, from the freezer.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

I cooked some stew beef and gravy,mashed potatoes and creamed corn.

chocomouse
          Participant

Today I started a big pot of beef stew. Tomorrow I'll add potatoes, onions, carrots and let it simmer most of the day.

Supper tonight was salads: chicken and grapes, seafood, and a green from the gro-lights in the sunroom.

BakerAunt
            Participant

My husband roasted a turkey for us on Wednesday. I made muddled mashed potatoes (yellow potatoes with the skins) and gravy from the turkey drippings, and we had leftover coleslaw as well.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I'm starting the planning for Super Bowl Sunday, even though it'll only be the two of us I want something that will be self-serve and ready well ahead of kickoff.

I'm planning to heat up half of a sliced ham (leaving half of it cold because my wife prefers it that way), plus either baked beans or potatoes au gratin, whichever I'm in the mood for on Sunday.

I'll defrost some pre-sliced marbled rye bread, and I should have some salad, though the Aerogarden seems to be past its peak on this crop.

Not much planned in the way of game munchies.

RiversideLen
                Participant

I made some meatballs yesterday, so it was bow tie pasta with meatballs yesterday and today.

chocomouse
                  Participant

No cooking here on Thursday night. My husband has a dinner meeting so I had leftover broccoli, chive cottage cheese, grapes, and ice cream!

BakerAunt
                    Participant

I made "Stone Soup" on Friday for lunches into next week; in other words, I improvised. I sauteed some onion and garlic in olive oil, then added the leftover potato water from the potatoes I cooked on Wednesday, the broth I made from boiling the giblets, and the rest of the fluids that came out of the turkey that I had not used when I made gravy. I added sliced carrots and celery, chopped red bell pepper, ½ cup pearl barley, a 14 oz. can of diced tomatoes with Hatch chilis, and a 14 oz. can of kidney beans. After I had boiled, then simmered for 40 minutes, I added some kale for the last five minutes, then a teaspoon of cider vinegar and freshly grated black pepper. I sprinkled some dried basil on top of the soup in my bowl. It was a nice warm lunch on a rainy, cool day in the high 30Fs.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

Thursday was my husbands 71st Birthday and we went to Texas Road House,that's what he wanted and today we had hamburger steaks with fries.It was grocery shopping today and we found everything we wanted but Rice Krispies.

RiversideLen
                        Participant

Happy Birthday to your husband, Joan!

Yesterday I had a meatball sandwich and soup. I plan on making tostadas and guacamole tonight.

chocomouse
                          Participant

I did a lot of cooking this morning. First, I browned about 2 1/2 pounds of ground beef. Then I used a pound of it in a big pot of chili for the guys running the ice fishing derby tomorrow, when it is predicted to have a high temp of 20*. I'll send the Burger Buns I also baked this morning along with the chili. Then I made an even bigger pot of tomato sauce, using 3-4 quarts of tomatoes from last summer's garden. I will freeze some of it plain, and to some of it I will add some of the cooked ground beef. I will end up with several containers of pasta sauce, ready to heat and eat, with or without meat - restocking the freezer. For dinner tonight, we'll have the sauce with rice, which we called "Spanish Rice" when I was growing up.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

We like your Spanish Rice too Chocomouse.

I made a pot of hamburger soup using 9 oz.of hamburger,one onion,one can of Vegetable Blend,one can of tomatoes and two potatoes,browned the meat and onions added rest of everything and threw in a handful of cut okra with salt,pepper and 2 beef bouillon .Simmered three hours and we had soup and more pimento cheese sandwiches.It's cool here but nothing like many of you have.
                              Thanks Len for the Birthday wishes.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

I made yogurt on Saturday.

cwcdesign
                                Participant

Yesterday, I made a slow cooker carrot & chickpea tagging. It was a little bland, but Will doctored up the leftovers so we will eat some and freeze some. Last night we had it with couscous and sautéed baby boy choi. Not sure what I'll have for my greens with it tonight.

Tomorrow Will will make pizza (he has a friend visiting for a couple of days) with his sourdough crust and homemade pizza sauce made with tomatoes frozen from the garden last summer. He likes to make several smaller ones with different toppings - a cheese, BBQ chicken and vegetarian.

Happy Birthday to your husband, Joan!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.