What are you Cooking the Week of January 23, 2022?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of January 23, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Probably another leftovers day for us here, plus salads.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

We had hamburger steaks and fries.

Italiancook
        Participant

I cooked 2 lbs. Great Northern beans with 3/4 pound cottage ham. I baked an expired Jiffy cornbread mix, and it baked up as flat as I expected. But it still tasted good. Tomorrow, I'll package for the freezer the beans left after lunch.

chocomouse
          Participant

I made shepherd's pie for our dinner.

cwcdesign
            Participant

I had half a head of cabbage left over from a recipe earlier in the week so I made Connemara broth from the Simon Pearce cookbook. It's a soup I really like and it's been cold here for Georgia - high 30's-low 50's. It was a nice dinner with the brown bread (see Baking thread).

Joan Simpson
              Participant

No cooking here tonight we're having Brunswick Stew.

RiversideLen
                Participant

On Sunday I made a canned salmon mac and cheese casserole, I'll be having the leftovers tonight.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

My husband had the rest of the pea soup, and I had some of my leftover Spanish Chickpea, Spinach, and Bulgur stew. We also had slices of the great rye bread.

chocomouse
                    Participant

A quick meal tonight -- fish fillets and french fries, all from the freezer and just needing an air-fry. All I had to do was make a salad!

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

Tonight we're having stew beef with potatoes,carrots and onions and we will eat this over corn bread, one of our favorites.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Dinner on Tuesday was Baked Carnival Squash stuffed with a mixture of ground turkey, vegetables, and bulgur that I had frozen a couple of weeks ago. I used the countertop convection oven. Previous squashes have not had any sweetness to them, so I drizzled with maple syrup after roasting for 45 minutes at 400F, then stuffed them before returning them to the oven at 375F for another ten minutes. That made for a delicious entree.

navlys
                          Participant

We had marinated pork tenderloin. My husband is a meat and potatoes man whom I should have converted . I refuse to pay the current beef prices so pork, shrimp and chicken have been my staples. I did see cod on sale at WinnDixie or Publix.TBD.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I think of myself as a 'meat and potatoes' person, too, but I find if I make chicken-based dishes too often, my wife complains. (I don't make fried chicken, but that's one thing the fast food industry does well.) When we're negotiating dinner (that's the best way to describe it), fish is often a hard sell, too.

chocomouse
                              Participant

Laughing! I love, love, love chicken. I could eat chicken 5-6 nights a week. "Winner, winner, chicken dinner!" at my house. My husband? Hah! Not so much. He doesn't care for chicken. He is the original "Where's the beef?" spokesperson.

RiversideLen
                                Participant

I pulled a couple of stuffed peppers from the freezer and cooked them yesterday and had one for dinner with pasta. The second one will be tonight's dinner.

I also made butternut squash soup. I don't remember where I got the recipe from, but it's pretty easy. Sautee one celery stalk, some onion and a carrot or two until the onion is translucent, add about a pound of cubed squash, half pound of potato and 4 cups of water. Simmer until the vegs are soft, wait for it to cool a little and transfer to a blender in batches to make it smooth, or if you have a stick blender just do it in the cooking pot. A little salt to taste and it's done. I didn't have potatoes so after I blended it I added some instant potato flakes, a little over half a cup gave me the thickness I wanted. I also threw in a pinch of cloves and 2 pinches of allspice. It came out nice. Now I have soup for my lunches, perfect for this really cold weather.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.