Wed. Sep 30th, 2026

RiversideLen

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 751 through 765 (of 2,650 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of October 15, 2023? #40750
    RiversideLen
    Participant

      I made another batch of sandwich/burger buns, again making 9 instead of my usual 8. I tempted one when it came out of the oven and it was a few degrees higher than it should be (209 v 205f). They look fine but I think next time I'll take 30 seconds off the baking time.

      in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of October 8, 2023? #40676
      RiversideLen
      Participant

        I made breaded boneless chicken breasts in the oven. I put them in buttermilk for a few minutes and then into seasoned panko breadcrumbs. I sprinkled a little bit of oil on them. Baked them at 425 degrees for about 40 minutes. Had one with a baked potato and Brussel sprouts and carrots. It all came out pretty good and I have enough chicken left for the next two nights.

        chicken-breast

        Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
        in reply to: parsnips #40667
        RiversideLen
        Participant

          Mike, what do you do with the frozen cherries?

          in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of October 8, 2023? #40666
          RiversideLen
          Participant

            Thank you, Joan!

            in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of October 8, 2023? #40665
            RiversideLen
            Participant

              I had a hamburger, a little pasta and carrots.

              in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of October 8, 2023? #40659
              RiversideLen
              Participant

                I baked a batch of sandwich/burger buns. I normally make 8 buns, which comes out to about 97 grams each. Today I decided to try making 9 buns, they weighed in at 86 grams each. I didn't make any adjustments to the baking time as I wasn't sure if it would need it. They came out nice, a golden brown. I tempted one of them and it came in at 205 degrees, which is what I expected.

                buns

                Attachments:
                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of October 8, 2023? #40618
                RiversideLen
                Participant

                  I made a half batch of sandwich buns.

                  in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of October 1, 2023? #40608
                  RiversideLen
                  Participant

                    Those loaves look great.

                    in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of October 1, 2023? #40590
                    RiversideLen
                    Participant

                      Thanks everybody. Making pizza is one of my favorite things. Sometimes I worry that I'm posting too many pizza pics.

                      How much dough do I use? That can vary a little depending on if I want leftovers for lunch. But generally, 200 to 250 grams. I've gone as high as 300 grams. The dough in my last pic was 200 grams. I usually top it with 4 ounces of pre grated cheese. Yeah, you should grate your own but pre grated works and it's so much easier.

                      My pizza is usually pretty thin. Sometimes (more often) I roll out the dough in-between 2 sheets of lightly oiled parchment paper using a rolling pin with height rings on it. That works out pretty well but it doesn't get a lip on the edge. I'll bake it on a preheated stone (475f) on the parchment for 3 minutes and then slide the peal under it a little and pull out the parchment (gloved hand). Continue to bake for another 6 or 7 minutes. The last pizza I made, the picture last posted, I formed by hand, working the dough with my hands to make it round and making sure it has a nice lip on it. That was baked at 450f. I always treat the dough like I'm making a roll/bun (a boule) before rolling it out. That way I get a reasonable chance of getting it round. They don't always turn out round, but that's ok too, but less likely to take a pic of it!

                      My doughs are pretty easy to work with. They usually consist of equal parts of rye, semolina, white whole wheat and AP or bread flour, or equal parts of semolina, WWW and AP. Usually AP though, since it's usually King Arthur it has a fairly high protein content. Hydrate it at 65% plus more as I knead it. Used to use all water but more recently I'm using fat free milk, the milk makes the bottom brown more nicely. Using that mix of flour preludes getting window pane dough so it will pull apart fairly easy if it's made too thin. But I've learned how to handle it.

                      Pepperoni. I'm a firm believer in putting the pepperoni directly on the sauce, so dough - sauce - pepperoni. The reason being that the spices in the pepperoni interact with the tomato sauce, thus making the sauce more yummy. But there is also an argument for putting the pepperoni on last, so your tastebuds get a direct hit from it. On my last pizza, I put it on last to just make it look good. Now, you could do it both ways on the same pie, but I don't want to overdo it as it is high in sodium and fat.

                      ItalianCook, that little bit of greenery is a sprinkle of oregano.

                      BakeAunt, I agree, a pizza thread would be great.

                      in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of October 1, 2023? #40570
                      RiversideLen
                      Participant

                        I made a batch of Semolina/rye/wheat buns. But instead of the usual 8 buns, I made 6, withholding some dough for a pizza.

                        The pizza was onion and pepperoni. The crust came out very nice, soft and tender.

                        IMG_2007

                        Attachments:
                        You must be logged in to view attached files.
                        in reply to: Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers #40547
                        RiversideLen
                        Participant

                          I've been using a little flax meal in my bread for a while now. I take a rounded tbsp and hydrate it with an ounce of water. After it becomes like a batter, I add it to the dough mixture. I do it like that because flax meal can be hydrated at a higher percentage than wheat flour.

                          in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of October 1, 2023? #40544
                          RiversideLen
                          Participant

                            I'm going to have a pork chop, pasta, garlic bread and a salad.

                            in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of October 1, 2023? #40534
                            RiversideLen
                            Participant

                              I made pork chops on the BBQ last night. Had one with a salad.

                              in reply to: Lining Pan for Cinnamon Rolls?? #40510
                              RiversideLen
                              Participant

                                I always line the pan with parchment. I'm a big fan of easier cleanup.

                                in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of September 24, 2023? #40501
                                RiversideLen
                                Participant

                                  I made a dozen blueberry muffins from a Betty Crocker box mix. The mix comes with a small can of wild blueberries. It came out good.

                                  The instructions are to drain and rinse the berries. I drained them and retained the liquid but did not rinse them. I reduced the liquid to about an ounce with the intention of using it to make a glaze. But when I tasted the reduced juice it was pretty sweet, so I decided against making a glaze with it. The glaze would be too sweet for my taste.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 751 through 765 (of 2,650 total)