What are you Baking the Week of October 29, 2023?

Home Forums Baking โ€” Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of October 29, 2023?

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    RiversideLen
    Participant

Sorry to hear that, BA, that is so frustrating. When you use your thermometer, what temperature are you looking for?

BakerAunt
      Participant

Len--King Arthur and some other sites state 200F for quick breads, although I think that I might go with 190-195F.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

The sourdough cheese crackers made with finely ground whole wheat durum flour are very different from those I made with coarsely ground winter red wheat. I am using twice the amount of cheese powder and I added about 3/4 of a teaspoon of salt, but none on top.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I think I like the ones I rolled out to 1mm better, they're crunchy and despite being thinner seem more airy inside.

So I think the next batch will all be rolled out 1mm thin. The good news is that means I get a lot more crackers from a batch, but it means more time on the sheeter and more batches in the oven. I may cut the total amount of dough by a third or so.

aaronatthedoublef
            Participant

Mike - now I have sheeter envy. I wish I had the space for it. Not sure I could measure 1mm thickness.

I am working with my synagogue to see if I can bring in equipment. I am storing flour, yeast, and eggs there. They're giving me honey leftover from the High Holidays but I am not sure how much they have. And having a big Blodgett oven is great. At some point I could expand to a lot more than a dozen loaves.

Ahhhh. This week I made more challah. My shaping is improving which is part of the reason I am making it each week instead of once a month. I'm also developing a routine in my new kitchen. I think I am going to bring my old KA mixer there and start making cookies or something in the slack time waiting for things to rise. I also need to bring in some more sheet pans.

I also made ciabatta again this week. I substituted a third whole wheat for bread flour and Violet didn't complain so that's a success. I also dropped the weight down from 5 to 4.5 oz. They have become our go-to sandwich roll and Violet prefers it to the olive bread from Whole Foods which is major coup for me!

BakerAunt
              Participant

Aaron--I, too, have sheeter envy. I could put a sheeter in the Annex kitchen (apt. over our freestanding garage). The price, however, is high, and I would have to prove to my husband that it is worth it. Now that I have developed a second cracker recipe--for which I will post the recipe-in-progress later today--perhaps I can chip away at his financial resistance. ๐Ÿ™‚

With the new cracker recipe, those that I can get thinner have a nice light texture. The ones that are thicker (toward the center) are still good and work nicely with heavier toppings. The new recipe--which is not a sourdough--uses lower gluten flours, an idea that I got from a King Arthur cracker recipe that was inconvenient, as it requires the crackers to cool overnight in the oven, so it requires a lot of planning ahead if I baked in the afternoon, so that the oven would not be needed in the evening. I used a combination of half Italian-style flour and a quarter whole wheat and a quarter barley this last time. I plan to substitute spelt for the whole wheat next time. I may at some point see if I can reduce the Italian-style flour, which is the more expensive ingredient.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I am in awe of your Challah project, Aaron! I'm glad that your synagogue appreciates your baking and allows you use of the kitchen.

I am also delighted that you are able to bake a bread with some whole wheat that Violet enjoys! Maybe at some point you will be able to increase the wholegrain.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I use a digital caliper that I found at a bead shop (Shipwreck Beads in the Seattle area, biggest assortment of beads in the world!), it measures in 0.1 mm increments. Measuring something soft like cracker dough is a bit more challenging, but if you do it carefully I think it's accurate.

The small sheeter doesn't take up as much space when it isn't being used, but I have a 24x48 stainless steel work table in the basement that I use for some baking projects, especially ones that need a lot of space. I'm planning to try rolling out strudel dough in the sheeter, then overlapping pieces when rolling up the strudel.

RiversideLen
                    Participant

Thanks, BA, I'm going to give that a try next time I bake a cake.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

I made pie crusts last night and have the 5 ready for baking or the freezer.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

I made Maple Granola on Saturday. It is popular in our house, so I try not to run out, as we did two days ago.

I also made dough for my Whole Wheat Sourdough Crackers to bake next week.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I made peanut butter cookies Saturday evening.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I put the thicker sourdough cheese crackers in a 140 degree oven then turned it off and left them in overnight. Now they're dry enough all the way through that they're more crunchy.

I still think I'll roll the next batch out to 1mm, though.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.