What are you Baking the Week of November 5, 2023?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of November 5, 2023?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Thanksgiving will be here before we know it!

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I celebrated the return to standard time on Sunday morning by making Cornmeal-Pumpernickel Waffles for breakfast. The moment I put the first one on the waffle iron, the dog arrives to stand guard. She loves bits of waffles.

In the afternoon, I baked Lemon Ricotta Cookies. I adapt the recipe from the Olive Tomato blog by using half white whole wheat flour and using just 5 oz. of ricotta (left over from another recipe). Today, I dipped the balls of dough in autumn colored sugar, and they look festively seasonal. I have also shortened the baking time from 15 to 14 minutes, and I turn the baking sheets halfway through the time.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Is the cornmeal pumpernickel waffle recipe in the recipe category here?

BakerAunt
          Participant

Mike--The base recipe is in the King Arthur wholegrain baking book. I have made some adjustments and will post my version.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I'm baking another apple pie today.

I have been experimenting with using a little milk and honey (heated in the microwave for about 20 seconds) on the top of the pie instead of egg wash, I think it improves the color and the sugar crystals stick just as well.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Today's apple pie:

IMG_0753

Attachments:
                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                RiversideLen
                Participant

That looks great, Mike. I think Jenny Can Cook says to brush the pie crust with a little milk but I like the idea of adding honey to it.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

That pie looks great Mike,I use the milk but I will try your method with honey.

Today I baked a pumpkin pie for my cousin and a coconut pie for my sister -in-law.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Lovely pie, Mike! We plan to drive to our favorite orchard tomorrow for apples. It's a two-hour round trip, but it is worth it for the Ever Crisps, Winesaps, and whatever seconds they have for applesauce.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

When we were at the wine class dinner last week, the professor, who also taught the fruits course at UNL for many years, said that his favorite pie apple is Cortland, which he calls a triple-threat apple, good for eating, good for cider/sauce, good for baking.

I'm not sure I've ever had one, I'll have to see if there are any available this late in the season.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

I had some apples and three pie crusts left so I made another pumpkin pie for my best friend,
                          an apple pie for me and to share ,I did as you suggested Mike and warmed up the milk and honey for the top of pie crust and it looked very good.I'll check it out tomorrow.I had some pumpkin filling left and baked it in a pyrex dish.That's the most baking I've done in awhile but I enjoyed it so much.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I think next time I won't brush it on the edge of the pie crust, though, it got a little darker than the rest of the top.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

I tried my apple pie today and it was very good,gave away the rest to my sister -n- law.I thickened it with flour and a little tapicoa.It set up nice.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

I baked cornbread on Tuesday to go with leftover soup for dinner. I baked it in a 6-well Nordic Ware pan that features 2 leaves, two different pumpkins, and two acorns. I reduced the temperature from 400 to 375F, since Nordic Ware gets hotter than a regular baking pan, and that was the right move. The baking time was only slightly longer, about 23 minutes as opposed to 21 minutes. There was slightly too much batter for the pan, so the muffins had borders around the designs. Probably, I should have used a dish to bake a separate seventh muffin. We do like the crusty exterior around each muffin.

I also baked five sub rolls, using my sub-roll perforated pan and a modified wholegrain version of the recipe that King Arthur sent with it when I bought it some years ago. The dough was not as wet this time, so I think that I should have held back part of the white flour. I also used honey and some buttermilk. I baked it at 425F for 12 minutes, but there was some burning on the bottom of the loaves, and also a lot of smoking in the oven, which happens when I grease the pan with Crisco, which melts through the holes and onto the oven floor. I will need to clean the oven tomorrow.

Next time, I will hold back some flour, check the baking loaves earlier, and possibly lower the temperature to 400F after putting them into the oven.

navlys
                                Participant

I volunteered to make corn bread for the chili contest in our over 55 community. I found a lazy person's recipe on "spicysouthernkitchen.com". It called for 2 boxes of Jiffy Muffin Mix and used 1T of sugar. (I like sweet cornbread). Any way they have a variety of Jiffy Mixes now and I used the honey one. The cornbread had just the right amount of sweetness and some of the people asked for the recipe.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.