What are you Baking the Week of November 19, 2023?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of November 19, 2023?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    skeptic7
    Participant

I did a sweet potato pie. We had turkey, and cranberry sauce, and yesterday's rolls for lunch. Dad had asked for a sweet potato pie at breakfast time and I chose to cook the pie rather than vegetables. The turkey was a boneless half turkey that had been in the freezer from last year. It cooked surprisingly quickly, one hour at 350 degrees. The KAF sweet potato pie recipe made a 9 inch pie with enough left over for a little thin sample size pie. That was cooked in time to go with the turkey.

BakerAunt
      Participant

Sweet potato pie is always better than sweet potato casserole!

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I hate pumpkin pie but I really do like sweet potato pie. I also made some fresh whipped cream to go with it. Diane had some of the cherry pie.

RiversideLen
          Participant

I think one of the problems with pumpkin pie is the traditional pumpkin pie seasonings. When I make it, I only use cinnamon and vanilla. Nothing else. People who otherwise don't like pumpkin pie often like mine.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I used cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and a pinch of clove in the sweet potato pie.

For me the problem is just that I don't like the taste of pumpkin. I'm not that fond of sweet potato casserole, either. I do like sweet potato fries.

chocomouse
              Participant

I made a two-crust cream pie, with heavy cream, sugar, bits of butter on the bottom sprinkled with cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. It is a forever tradition in my husband's family, so even though we went to our nearby son's family for dinner, he could have his traditional pie when we returned home. I contributed a charcuterie tray for the family dinner.

Attachments:
                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                BakerAunt
                Participant

My pumpkin pie recipe originally called for "pumpkin pie spice." I use 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, a slightly heaping 1/2 tsp. ginger, and 1/2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg. I also think that using homemade pumpkin puree from a pie pumpkin makes a difference. One of my husband's cousins has twice commented on the lightness of my pumpkin pie.

I dislike pumpkin pie made from canned pumpkin--which, of course, includes other squashes than pumpkin. I do not like either the taste or the texture.

chocomouse
                  Participant

This is the cream pie I made for my husband.

Attachments:
                    You must be logged in to view attached files.
                    skeptic7
                    Participant

Baker Aunt;
                      I use homemade puree but I've use whatever hard winter squash takes my fancy at the farmer's market; long necked pumpkins, long island pumpkins, pink banana, and others. I can't remember all of them now.

Chocomouse;
                      Your pie looks amazing. Is it a custurd sort of pie?

navlys
                      Participant

I made David Lebovitz's "spiced glazed nuts and pretzel mix". I always substitute Penzey's Arizona dreaming for the cayenne. It is addictive.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

We will be out of pumpkin pie after my husband eats the last small piece tomorrow with his tea, so on Saturday, I baked Pumpkin Chocolate Swirl Cake, a recipe that came with the autumn wreath Nordic Ware Bundt pan. I have adapted it to use canola oil rather than butter and to allow for some whole wheat pastry flour, milk powder, and a bit of flax meal. I deleted the water, since I do not use canned pumpkin. As an experiment, this time, I cut the sugar from 2 cups to 1 3/4 cups. I checked the temperature and pulled it out at 200F. I will let it rest overnight, and we will start having it for dessert on Sunday.

Chocomouse--I found the Long Island Cheese pumpkin a little too assertive for a pie. I like it better in savory dishes. I like peanut pumpkin, but it is somewhat watery for pie, so it would need some draining or cooking down of water. I really liked the Fairy Tale Pumpkin for pie; it made an even lighter textured pie than the pie pumpkins. However, I only was able to get one two years ago, and the farmers' market vendor has only had one or two, which someone in town manages to buy before I arrive. I've asked my husband to see if he can get seed, so that we can try growing our own.

Another reason the Fairy Tale is hard to get is that the vendors mostly grow for the "decorate for autumn market," and they harvest some of the Fairy Tales too early. That has also cut down on my experimentation, but at least they know that the pie pumpkins are for eating.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.