What are you Cooking the Week of November 12, 2023?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of November 12, 2023?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    navlys
    Participant

Joan, What did happen to those 7 bone roasts??

navlys
      Participant

I had leftover salsa so I marinated chicken breasts in salad dressing and various spices. I then topped the chicken with the salsa and cheese before baking. I also crushed some taco chips for the top.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I was told by one of the workers behind the grocery store meat counter (I wouldn't call them butchers) that their meat comes in mostly pre-cut and pre-packaged, though they do get some things that are primal cuts or sections, but usually boneless. And, oddly enough, they grind some of their own ground beef.

About the only bone-in meat I see in the stores are ribs and some steaks (T-bone, Porterhouse and KC Strip.) Shanks and soup bones are usually available in the fall and winter but disappear come spring.

Fareway Beef gets primals and will cut to order, including bone-in steaks. (A 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch T-bone cooks and tastes so much different than the usual 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick cut.)

There's another high-end butcher shop (featuring Piedmontese beef) that opened on the other end of town and now has a location near us, though I haven't been there yet. And there's Del Gould, which caters mostly to the restaurants.

BakerAunt
          Participant

For dinner on Wednesday, I made noodles and mushrooms with a slightly creamy sauce. I have perfected using avocado oil rather than butter in the sauce. These were spinach noodles that I bought at a specialty grocery store. We had them with leftover roasted chicken breast and microwaved fresh broccoli.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Went shopping with my friend today and we had a big Waffle House Breakfast for lunch so I had a grapefruit for supper and some smoked almonds.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Navlys I have no idea why we don't get the 7 bone roast anymore,I never see them.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

We had left over pot roast for supper, it still is a bit on the dry side, maybe I'll add a little beef stock to what's left.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

We did our major grocery run today, so we happily settled on leftovers for dinner. I had the rest of the beef stew, while my husband had more of the chicken breast with the rest of the noodles and mushrooms from last night, as well as some microwaved broccoli.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

I'm trying to eat what I have in the fridge so I had Caesar salad with some deli ham.I'm flying out of Jacksonville ,Fla. Monday morning to go visit our son and grandchildren for Thanksgiving and I'll be gone 9 days.So I hope each of you has a great Thanksgiving and pray you can be with loved ones or friends if possible.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

Leftovers here, too.

chocomouse
                        Participant

Joan, I'm so excited for you!! Have a wonderful time!

RiversideLen
                          Participant

Have a wonderful time, Joan!

I made meatballs today, so had meatballs with spaghetti, broccoli and carrot.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Thanks Chocomouse and Len , I can't wait!

Tonight my best friend ,her husband and daughter took me out to Texas Road House and we had a nice supper and so much fun.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Best wishes for your trip, Joan. Enjoy your time with family!

I roasted two butternut squashes on Friday and made a double batch of Curried Butternut Squash Soup. I had hoped to add some apple cider, as I did last time, but my cider has gone hard. Instead, I added some additional chicken broth and some maple syrup. A tablespoon of Penzey's Now Curry gave it the perfect flavor. I froze three servings in separate containers for future lunches. I will eat the rest over the next few days. I offered to leave part of the soup without the curry powder, so that my husband could have some, but he declined.

For dinner on I made chicken salad using the rest of the roasted chicken breast. I used some Chobani non-fat Greek yogurt in place of some of the low-fat mayonnaise. We had it on one of the sub rolls that I pulled out of the freezer and halved. I had some of my butternut squash soup with my sandwich. We are headed for a chilly weekend, and the temperature is already dropping, so soup and sandwich is perfect.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

As I mentioned in my previous post, my cider has gone hard. Is there any use for hard cider, or should I just toss it?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.