What are you Cooking the Week of November 5, 2023?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of November 5, 2023?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Aaron--if you are seeking a non-fry way of preparing the chicken tenders, you could use a variation on the Crispy Oven Fish and Chips recipe that I have posted. I use the hint of toasting the panko before breading for boneless chicken breasts, and it makes all the difference.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Air fryers are supposed to be good at that, but I don't want to devote counter space to one.

cwcdesign
        Participant

Mike, last night I just had the mushroom onion mixture and cheese over baby romaine lettuce because I didn't want to buy a loaf of rye. It was good, but missing something. Today I took the last piece of focaccia out of the freezer to try again - I cooked it in the panini press. Definitely made a difference and I would make the recipe again.

Tonight, I made Chinese dumpling soup which I hadn't made in a long time - I have dinner for the next two nights.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Lettuce wraps always seem to be missing something over a bun or slices of bread. I think it's the texture as much as the flavor. Flour tortillas are a little better than lettuce wraps, but I suspect that mushroom mixture would be really good on rye bread. I'll have to work that into the menu plan at some point.

Tonight's souffle came out nearly perfect, I should have taken a picture of it. We packaged the leftover souffle up for lunches for Diane. (Contrary to popular belief, you can microwave a souffle and it will fluff up nearly back to its original state.)

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Tonight I had a egg omelette with Feta cheese, cottage cheese, sliced tomatoes and a salad with Feta.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Tonight we had tomato soup and fried cheese sandwiches, and I had a piece of apple pie with some ice cream. (Diane had pie at lunchtime.)

BakerAunt
                Participant

I made a frittata for lunch on Tuesday to use up some leftover brown and wild rice mix from the freezer. I was pleased with how well my recently purchased ceramic skillet performed. I was able to invert it onto a plate, then slice it back into the skillet. It came out well, although I should have used three rather than two eggs or else less rice. Mushrooms, chocolate and yellow bell pepper, red onion, and a spinach-like green (Tatsumi?) completed the dish. I saved some of it for breakfast the next day.

For dinner, we finished the ground turkey, lentils, and vegetable soup.

I also made yogurt today.

aaronatthedoublef
                  Participant

Thanks BA for the tip on toasting panko. My chicken strips used flour and baking soda, no bread crumbs. It was pretty crisp, too. It may be a little while before Violet can each them again, anyway a she is in the process of getting braces and her mouth is pretty sore. She couldn't even eat a cheese quesadilla last night. Grapes hurt too.

Today I made her some applesauce just as a way to give eat some soft fruit. First time I have made applesauce in many years.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

I sympathize with Violet. I recall having braces and eating after they were tightened always was painful, as there were lots of kids in my family, and my mother could not plan menus around who had currently had her or his braces tightened.

Applesauce was an excellent idea! I'm about to make a batch today.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

My favorite vendor is back, but only every other week, at the Saturday Farmers' Market. Among the items that I bought from her was a large, lovely eggplant. I had recently seen a recipe at The Washington Post for Eggplant Parmesan Sandwiches that I thought might be worth trying, so that is what I did today for lunch.

The recipe is rather involved, especially if making it for just one person. I had to substitute for some ingredients, as I did not have chili flakes or a can of crushed tomatoes for the sauce. I used sweet paprika and Tuscan seasoning and diced canned tomatoes. I did not have Italian breadcrumbs to combine with panko, so I used just the panko. I only had pre-grated Mozzarella. I also did not want to put olive oil on the pan; unlike the Post recipe staff, I am my own clean-up person, so I used parchment, with a new piece every time. I was not familiar with my broiler, having never used it, but it was easy, although mine might be more powerful than what the recipe developer used. I burned the Panko on one side of the eggplant, but fortunately, the burned stuff fell off when I turned them over. I assembled the sandwich using half of one of the sub rolls that I baked last night.

The sandwich is ok. Maybe if the eggplant were well breaded, I would like it better, but I think the upshot is that I do not like eggplant in a starring role and prefer it as part of the cast, as in the lasagna I made this summer or in ratatouille, which I have not made in a while because my husband cannot eat it. I will have the leftovers as a sandwich tomorrow, but I will not be making this recipe again.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I agree that eggplant is better as a supporting ingredient than as the main ingredient in a dish. There are few eggplant Mediterranean dishes I'll order but won't make myself.

The zucchini tomato bake recipe that I made several times this summer is similar to ratatouille, but with cheese and no eggplant. If I grow zucchini again next year, I'll certainly make it again.

RiversideLen
                          Participant

Last night I had leftover turkey. I made a semi homemade soup to go with it, boxed chicken broth, fresh cauliflower, broccoli, carrot, celery and a little onion and some canned corn.

Tonight I'm making burgers and oven fries. Haven't decided on the veg yet.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

I roasted some purple potatoes from the farmers' market, cut into chunks and tossed in olive oil, for dinner on Wednesday. My husband pan-cooked pork, and we microwaved fresh broccoli as well. Earlier in the day, I made my first batch of applesauce from a medley of some of the seconds we bought at the orchard yesterday. I froze two cups of it, but we had some with dinner tonight.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

Went thrifting again so it was a Waffle House lunch no supper for me I'll eat fruit a banana.I did find me two shirts and a pair of jeans so it was a good day.Then we went to an Amish Bakery and bought a few things I bought everything bagel seasoning, celery seed some sugar free chocolate coated almonds and smoked almonds... so good.

chocomouse
                                Participant

We had boneless pork chops for dinner, with roasted veggies: butternut squash, potato, onion, pepper, brussel sprouts, and carrots tossed with olive oil, maple syrup and Maldon flakey salt.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.