What are you Cooking the Week of October 29, 2023?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of October 29, 2023?

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I have made an apple galette using the scottish oatmeal shortbread recipe (par-baked) in the KAF Whole Grains book as the base. It makes for a very interesting crust. I used to do it 2-3 times a year in a half sheet pan, but that's way too much these days, I'd have to scale the crust recipe down a lot.

BakerAunt
      Participant

Joan--galettes are wonderful, and with no top crust, they are calorie saving! I had perfected a part-buckwheat one the summer that I had to cut most butter from my diet. These days, I use my regular oil-buttermilk pie crust but put it into a ceramic quiche dish and par-bake it before adding the filling.

Whatever crust you use, apples need to be partly cooked before being added. When one of my husband's cousins experimented with a galette for leftover apples at a family reunion, the apples stayed hard. She now cooks them slightly, and they are cooked properly. I have not tried it, but it could be that if the apples are sliced thinly enough, they will bake in a galette without pre-cooking them.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

Thanks for the advice on the galettes BakerAunt & Mike that's on my to do list for sure.When I bake my apple pies I cook the apples a little also.

I had stewed squash, black eyed peas, coleslaw and cucumber salad for supper.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

We had creamed tuna on biscuits tonight. Yum.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

The apple pie filling I used is cooked until the apples are 'bendable'.

BakerAunt
              Participant

I roasted two tiny and one small honey nut squashes from our garden, after seeding, peeling, cutting into chunks, and tossing with avocado oil. I like the flavor better with the avocado oil than with olive oil. We also had leftover roasted chicken thighs and microwaved fresh broccoli.

RiversideLen
                Participant

I had a stuffed pepper, pasta, broccoli and cauliflower.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.