What are you Cooking the Week of November 19, 2023?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of November 19, 2023?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Dinner plans and the beginning of preparation for Thanksgiving are on my mind, what's on yours?

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Getting everything ready for my trip to see our son and grandchildren in Dallas,Texas.Can't wait.Flying out of Jacksonville ,Fla.in the morning and it will be my first trip since my husband passed away.I'll try to check in with y'all. If I don''t everyone that's celebrating Thanksgiving next week enjoy whoever you're with.Love you all, this is the best group ❤

Tonight I finished up all the leftovers cucumber salad, sliced tomatoes, deli turkey and cottage cheese.

chocomouse
        Participant

Joan, enjoy dinner with your son's family -- a no cooking vacation for you.

Our dinner was Greek chicken thighs, roasted brussels sprouts and green beans, and rice. When I am in Maine with my sister, we always shop at our preferred little "yuppie" market; I buy these marinated chicken thighs to grill and bring home extras to freeze for later. And tonight was 'later'!

BakerAunt
          Participant

On Sunday, I roasted and processed my second peanut pumpkin. It was too large for my roasting pan to hold the two halves, so I roasted each half separately, which took over 90 minutes per pumpkin. I have packaged and frozen the puree for later use.

For dinner, I made a Butternut Squash, Farro, Kale, and Turkey Soup, which is based on a recipe in an email from the now defunct Tasting Table. I reduced the farro to 1 ½ cups this time and added a pound of sliced mushrooms. I also briefly sauteed the kale in olive oil in a separate frying pan before adding it to the soup. That brief sauté, although it requires the separate pan, produces a better tasting soup. I think that the heat and oil must somehow alter the kale.

I also made yogurt.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Almost anything would have to improve kale. 🙂

RiversideLen
              Participant

Almost anything would have to improve kale. 🙂

lol, I like to steam kale and then season it with a little soy sauce and sesame seed oil.

I just finished stuffing some peppers, they are sitting in the fridge waiting for dinner time. I think I'm going to make potato (Yukon gold), probably roast as they can go in the oven with the peppers, and some broccoli and cauliflower.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I started Thanksgiving meal preparation on Tuesday by making Cranberry Cherry Relish. It contains cardamom, and my husband is not a cranberry fan, so I made it for me. This relish lasts a long time. Leftovers go well mixed into yogurt or spread on buttered toast.

For dinner, we had more of the Butternut Squash, Farro, and Kale soup.

Mike--for the longest time, I avoided kale because it was trendy. However, it is a great source of calcium and other vitamins and minerals, so I try to incorporate it where I can. It is also a hardy green, so some of the local farmers' market vendors have it in the colder market months, especially if they have greenhouses.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I don't care if its trendy or not, I just think it tastes terrible. I know there are people for whom cilantro tastes like soap (my wife is one of them), but as far as I know that's not an issue with kale, we just haven't found any way to make it palatable to us. We had a farm share for a couple of years, some weeks half the box was kale.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I bought a bag of cranberries, Diane will make something with them, but I won't eat it, I dislike cranberry sauce. I do like craisins and I've had some cranberry breads that were OK.

Our granddaughter is apparently a cranberry fan, though, her dad has already made two batches of cranberry sauce in the last two weeks.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

We had more of the chicken and rice plus a salad.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

On Tuesday, I roasted and processed two pie pumpkins. I set aside enough for tomorrow's pie, then froze enough for two more pies, as well as 4.9 oz. that remained.

We had more of the Butternut Squash, Farro, and Kale Soup for dinner.

chocomouse
                          Participant

No cooking here, just had to warm up all the odds and ends of leftovers!

BakerAunt
                            Participant

On Wednesday, I made a batch of applesauce. I made sure that I used more Ida Reds in addition to Sweet Emma and Macintosh. I also had four seconds from the farmers' market; the vendor assured me that they would kick up the flavor. I do not recall their name. I was pleased with the more complex flavor of this batch, so I may pick up some additional seconds at the market this weekend.

We had more of the Butternut Squash, Farro, and Kale Soup. There is enough left for us to have it for a light lunch tomorrow before the Thanksgiving dinner. When I was growing up, we usually had Thanksgiving dinner around 2 or 3 in the afternoon--at least, that was the time for which my mother was aiming. We would then clean up, relax a bit, and come back for pie. Alas, I cannot get my husband to go along with that dining time tradition, so dinner will be at the usual 6 p.m., provided the turkey is done on time.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

I hard boiled some eggs for use tomorrow, and Diane had two of them for supper. I had a salad with tuna and egg.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

Scott roasted the turkey for Thanksgiving, as he always does. I made dressing (Pepperidge Farm blue bag forever) and gravy. We had Cardamom, Cranberry, and Dried Cherry relish (or I did), applesauce, and green beans that I froze in August. The green beans did not come out as well as they usually do. We had pumpkin pie for dessert.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.