What are You Baking the Week of March 28, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of March 28, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

It's an exciting week for bakers with Passover having started, Easter arriving. Spring also means holidays for other religious groups. Of course, with Covid-19, gatherings are still restricted, but we can see a future now where we can gather.

As promised to my husband, I made Cornmeal-Rye Waffles for Palm Sunday breakfast, using the recipe in King Arthur’s Whole Grain Baking (p. 21). I replace the butter with 1/3 cup canola oil, which I stir into the batter after the rest is mixed. I also halve the salt. I used half Bob’s Red Mill fine stone ground cornmeal (which is no longer in their product line) and half BRM medium stone ground cornmeal. Other than additional crunch, the change did not alter the recipe, so next time, I will try it with 75% medium, with the idea that I will eventually try 100%.

We ate our waffles with maple syrup we bought from Chocomouse's family's operation. Our dog is also fond of waffles (but we do not give her maple syrup) and gets little bits, especially crispy edges. Waffles almost make her forget last night's thunderstorm.

Spread the word
      cwcdesign
      Participant

It was my birthday on Friday, so last week Will made a chocolate layer cake from Claire Saffitz's book, Dessert Person. He used her brown butter cream cheese frosting and added the chocolate from her chocolate version. It was really good - very, very chocolaty - one of my co-workers said he went into a chocolate coma (I had taken half to work). It was Will's first layer cake - he may have over mixed a little - the KitchenAid can need some getting used to.

This morning he made Sourdough blueberry pancakes on the Baking Steel on the grill. We used chocomouse's syrup and had Canadian bacon. yum!

He wants Claire's carrot cake for his birthday in two weeks.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I'll be making Hot Cross Buns on Thursday, not sure how many batches yet, probably more than last year.

I'm still thinking about doing some variant on fan tan rolls, to see if they tolerate overnight refrigeration or freezing. Not much else happening today, maybe I'll do that.

S_Wirth
          Participant

cwcdesign...Happy Belated Birthday!! Your cake sounds wonderful!

Italiancook
            Participant

cwcdesign, I also wish you have happy belated Birthday!

I made Quick & Easy Chocolate Cake from jennycancook.com. I'll frost it with her 2-Minute Frosting.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Happy Belated Birthday Cwcdesign that cake sounds awesome,I love chocolate.

cwcdesign
                Participant

Thank you all for the birthday wishes - it was a little more festive this year than last, even if it still was just the two of us.

I am a huge chocolate fiend, so of course a chocolate cake.

kimbob
                  Participant

Cwcdesign, Happy birthday!

Made my regular whole wheat bread. Hot cross buns maybe tomorrow.

RiversideLen
                    Participant

Cwcdesign, Happy Birthday! Your B'day cake sounds delicious!

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

Didn't get the fan tan rolls started, but I did get started on another rye bread recipe out of Ginsberg, should be done late tomorrow.

skeptic7
                        Participant

I started on the whole wheat hot cross buns. I'd like to try a cross between a Boston Brown bread and a pumpkin bread. KA website had a steamed pumpkin bread but it also has a lot of sugar. I guess I can start with a brown bread recipe and add pumpkin.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I've made brown bread twice, it has a lot of molasses in it, and I think brown sugar as well.

I should try the Ginsberg Boston Brown Bread recipe, the biggest challenge for me is what to steam it in. The last one I think I did in a fluted gelatin mold.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Happy Birthday, CWCdesign!

On Sunday, I baked the whole wheat sourdough pan bread recipe that I have been developing from one that was in a Sunset magazine cookbook. This time, I reduced the molasses to 3 Tbs. from 4 Tbs. and increased the olive oil to 4 Tbs. It was a good day to bake this recipe as it was drizzly and grey this morning, and the levain has a four-hour rest, which stretched to five hours, as it ran into the dinner hour. As always, it had great oven spring. Baking time was 40 minutes.

chocomouse
                              Participant

Happy Birthday, cwcdesign! Chocolate cake is the best! I hope you have leftovers.

cwcdesign
                                Participant

Thank you BA and chocomouse - we did have leftovers, but took half the cake to work where everyone was happy to share. Will and I each had a nice sized piece for dessert for the last 3 nights and are glad we don't have more -it's a very rich cake and he had an extra piece. Of course I have to make his cake in less than 2 weeks and we will probably share with work again.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by cwcdesign.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.