Mostly Whole Wheat Maple Buttermilk Bread

Home Forums Recipes Mostly Whole Wheat Maple Buttermilk Bread

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Mostly Whole Wheat Maple Buttermilk Bread

Marliss Desens adapted a recipe from Kaitlin Bray that appeared in an emailed story.

Note: This recipe kneads well in a Zo bread machine, but it is too much to rise or bake in the machine (functions I never use). For a stand mixer or making by hand, keep the bread flour and salt separate, mix in other dry ingredients first, then rest 15 minutes to absorb liquids before mixing in bread flour mixed with salt. The recipe fits a 10 x 5" loaf pan or two scant loaves in two 8 1/2 x 4 ½" pans. However, it works perfectly in two 7 1/2 x 4" loaf pans. It may not double on the second rise, but it has fantastic oven spring.

¼ cup warm water (about 104F)
      1 ¾ tsp. active yeast

2 cups buttermilk
      1/3 cup maple syrup

4 cups whole wheat flour (I use Bob's Red Mill stone ground whole wheat)
      1 ½ cups bread flour (I use Bob's Red Mill Unbleached Artisan Bread flour)
      2 Tbs. flax meal (Bob's Red Mill)
      2 Tbs. King Arthur special dry milk (optional; my buttermilk is only 300 mg calcium per cup)
      ½ tsp. salt

2 Tbs. avocado oil (canola oil will work, but avocado is slightly higher in healthy fat)

If using a bread machine, combine the dry ingredients in a bowl.

In bread machine pan, combine buttermilk and maple syrup. In a small ½ cup bowl, place warm water, rinse the maple syrup spoon in the water, Add the yeast, agitate, and let proof 5 minutes.

Add yeast mixture to buttermilk-syrup mixture. Pour dry ingredients on top. Set machine to dough cycle. As the flour is mostly combined, drizzle in two tablespoons avocado oil. When the machine finishes kneading and shuts off, remove dough and place in lightly oiled (I use canola) bread bucket with lid. Allow to rise for about 2 hours until doubled.

Empty dough onto a silicone mat (or lightly flour a surface) and press to de-gas. It is a very gassy dough at this stage; do your best. Divide in half (use a scale) and pre-shape into two loaves. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes. Grease the loaf pan or pans of choice. Do final shaping of loaves, place in pans, and in a lidded, plastic square cake holder. Allow to rise for about an hour or nearly doubled.

Near the end of the rise, preheat oven to 400F. Place pans in oven and immediately reduce temperature to 375F. Bake 35-38 minutes for two smaller loaves, or until the internal temperature measures 190F. Remove from pans and cool on rack before cutting.

What I changed: The original recipe used a packet of dry yeast. I cut to 1 ¾ tsp. bulk yeast. I deleted 1 tsp. of sugar for proofing yeast and rinsed off the maple syrup spoon instead (or used the water to clean out last of the syrup in a container). I replaced 4 cups of AP flour with whole wheat flour and used 1 ½ cups bread flour to help the wholegrains rise. Original recipe used 600g flour 4 ¾ + ½ to ¾. AP. I reduced the salt by 50%. I used 5 Tbs. maple syrup rather than 1/3 cup. I replaced 3 Tbs. unsalted butter with 2 Tbs. avocado oil. I deleted a final wash from a single egg and sprinkling of flaky salt.

Note: The originator says the recipe can be used for sweet rolls; if doing so, add ¼ cup sugar. I would also use the high sugar yeast if making sweet rolls.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.