What are you Baking the Week of April 21, 2024?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of April 21, 2024?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    chocomouse
    Participant

I made 2 loaves of my version of Harvest Grains bread.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I made a no-bake keto-friendly cheesecake using a Diamond pecan pie shell and a filling made with allulose that was cooked in a sauce pan. Looks like 1/8 of a pie will be about 12 carbs. I'll post pictures tomorrow after it sets.

skeptic7
        Participant

I did a basic batch of cranberry scones -- white flour, white sugar, and sour cream. I found that the little 1 cup container of sour cream at the grocery stores is ideal for this. I can make two batches of scones without having to thrown out any for spoiling. Currently I am making half size scones instead of full size scones as that seems to work better.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Here's a slice of the cheesecake. A bit soft, the recipe said it comes in somewhere in between a Jello no-bake cheesecake and a baked NY style cheesecake, and that's accurate. If I had added cornstarch or some other gelling agent such as xanthan gum, it would be thicker, but I don't really think it needs that. We sliced up a strawberry to put on top, that added another carb.

The Diamond pecan crust, which made up 2/3 of the carbs, is pretty good, too. So this satisfies the 'cheesecake urge'.

IMG_0880

Attachments:
            You must be logged in to view attached files.
            skeptic7
            Participant

The Keto friendly cheesecake looks great. In a traditional cheesecake is most of the carbs found in the crust or in the filling?

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

A serving is 1/8 of the pie, and the Keebler Graham Cracker crust is 14 carbs per serving while the Diamond pecan crust was 9 carbs per serving. But if I had used a cup of sugar instead of allulose, that would have meant the filling was 30 carbs per serving vs 3 carbs per serving for the one I made using allulose.

A crust made with almond flour might be a little lower in carbs than the pre-made pecan one. (My son does them sous vide in individual jars so they're pre-portioned, but he leaves out the crust completely.)

And if I had made a NY cheesecake in a 10 inch springform pie, it would have had twice as much filling, but with smaller slices that might have pretty much evened out.

RiversideLen
                Participant

That's a fine looking cheesecake.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.