Pumpernickel Sandwich Bread

Home Forums Recipes Pumpernickel Sandwich Bread

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Pumpernickel Sandwich Bread makes 1 loaf
      Marliss Desens adapted this recipe from King Arthur's "Sandwich Rye Loaf."

3 cups bread flour
      2 cups pumpernickel flour
      2 Tbs. potato flour
      ¼ cup special dry milk
      1 Tbs. caraway seed
      2 tsp. dill seed
      2 tsp. mustard seeds
      1 tsp. salt

3/4 cup plus 1 Tbs. warm water
      1 ½ Tbs. sugar
      2 ½ tsp. yeast

1 cup dill pickle juice (high quality--I use the brine from German Hestenberg dill pickles.)

4 Tbs. avocado oil

Stir together dry ingredients, with most of the sugar, in medium bowl. Proof yeast in water with remaining bit of sugar.

Add proofed yeast to bread machine. Add mixed dry ingredients. Start the dough cycle and pour the pickle juice on top. After juice is incorporated, drizzle in the avocado oil. Check after about 10 minutes; if dough is dry, add another tablespoon of water. Once the dough has finished kneading, remove it from the machine and place in a 2-qt., lightly oiled, dough bucket. Allow to rise for one hour or until close to doubled.

Turn dough out onto Silpat mat, shape into rough oval and allow to rest covered for 5 minutes. Grease a 12-inch "hearth" pan. Shape dough into oval, place in pan, and allow to rise in covered chamber for about an hour. Preheat oven to 400 F for about 25 minutes before ready to bake.

Bake for 38-40 minutes, or until it reaches an internal temperature is 195 F. Turn onto a rack to cool. Let the loaf rest overnight before slicing.

What I changed: I use the bread machine, but the recipe can be made by hand or with a stand mixer. The original recipe used 3 1/2 cups King Arthur AP and 1 ¾ cups medium rye flour. It used KAF's Deli Rye Flavor, but I use mustard seed, dill seed and pickle juice. I reduced the salt from 2 ¼ tsp, because the pickle juice is naturally salty, and I delay adding it so that it does not directly come into contact with the yeast. I increased the oil from 3 to 4 Tbs. and use avocado oil, which keeps the baked bread softer for longer. The pickle juice replaces an equal amount of water. Hearth pans were once sold by King Arthur but are now hard to find. The recipe could be baked freestyle or in a 10 x 5-inch loaf pan. (Note: KAF had another version of this recipe designed for an 8 1//2 x 4 ½ loaf pan that does use pickle juice and the spices.

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

Thanks for the recipe, BakerAunt. I'll follow it exactly next time I make rye bread. Except -- I'll be trying out my own home-made pickle brine - probably not "high quality"! No cucumbers have been in it. But eventually I am going to try the brine with cukes to see if it would make a decent "refrigerator dill".

BakerAunt
        Participant

If you work out a good brine recipe, Chocomouse, let me know. It would be great to be able to make my own--whether pickles have been in it or not.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Here's a recipe for pickle brine:

https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/pickle-brine

Adding some dill might make it better for rye bread, and maybe some mustard seed.

My mother always put a lump of alum in a jar of dill pickles, but if you're not actually making pickles that's probably not necessary.

chocomouse
            Participant

Mike, this is what I used for my dill pickle brine: 1 cup water, 1/2 cup white vinegar, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon salt, plus a tablespoon each of dill seed, mustard seed, caraway seed. I usually add dried or chopped onions and garlic to the dough. I simmered the brine until the sugar and salt were dissolved, then put it in a mason jar in the fridge. The first time I use this, I think I will not add any dill, mustard or caraway seeds to the dough. If the flavor is not strong enough for me, I will add them next time.

I sometimes have put alum in pickles; it's supposed to help keep the pickles crisp, but I never noticed a difference.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.