What are you Cooking the Week of April 28, 2024?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of April 28, 2024?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

The Sunday Farmer's market opens for the season today, but the forecast is for rain most of the morning and early afternoon, so I don't know if we'll get out to it or not. (We got about an inch of rain this afternoon/evening.)

I'll be making another batch of baked custard this afternoon.

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

We had stuffed peppers and green salad for dinner.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

We had baked fish for supper, my salmon was good but Diane's cod had a bitter taste to it, and we tossed it, along with the rest of that package in the freezer. I think I'll stick with Orange Roughy for her.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Our weather shifted from cooler to highs in the mid-70 F these past two days. I had one winter squash left, a little Autumn Frost, so on Sunday I went ahead and roasted it and made soup from it to go with today's and tomorrow's lunches. The squirrels and chipmunks cleaned up the seeds I put out from it in record time.

Dinner on Sunday was Potato, Spinach, and Ham Tart. The inspiration was Ken Haedrich's "New Potato, Spinach, and Blue Cheese Skillet Tart," in The Harvest Baker, but my changes make my tart a completely different recipe. I used 1 ¾ pounds yellow potatoes, and just 4 oz. of spinach. (The organic at the farmers market is $6 for 4 oz. so I'm not putting in more.) I used green onion, since my husband can eat it. I added a yellow bell pepper and 8 oz. sliced mushrooms because I like more vegetables. I replaced the blue cheese with low-fat grated mozzarella and the bacon crumbles with 2 cups of diced ham. I deleted the garlic and used ¼ tsp. thyme, ½ tsp. dried rosemary, and 1 tsp. Dijon mustard. I kept the Parmesan, but I replaced the ½ cup of heavy cream with evaporated milk. I used my buttermilk-oil partly whole wheat crust. I did not use a cast iron skillet, which I doubt would work with my oil crust, which requires blind baking before adding the filling. Instead, I used a 10-inch ceramic Emile Henry pie dish. I did not increase the crust, so it was thinner than usual, which gave it a great taste that I associate with the pot pies of my childhood. I baked at 375 F convection for 35 minutes. I liked the flavor, and my husband had seconds, so he liked it as well. The pie had just a bit too much liquid, probably from the additional vegetables, so next time I make it, I will account for that.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Mike--We buy our frozen cod at Aldi's and have been pleased with it. When we bought some Alaskan cod from the local supermarket during the pandemic, we noted that it did not taste very good and was somewhat rubbery. We have stuck to Aldi's cod ever since then.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Went to my friends today for a cookout , chicken wings, carrots celery, slaw green pole beans and I took a cheesecake. that I baked yesterday.

navlys
                Participant

I had a sliced beef sandwich. I marinated an eye of the round roast which I roasted and sliced thin with my electric slicer. One of my co-workers at the Kitchen Shoppe in Carlisle recommended the slicer ( a long time ago), It was a great recommendation. It helps to slice a baguette into even slices for crostini.

RiversideLen
                  Participant

I had pasta and chicken meatballs (the last from the freezer, time to start thinking about making more) and kale.

This morning I made breakfast sliders, egg with cheddar, turkey breakfast sausage, strawberry jam on toasted dinner rolls.

sliders

They're a little darker in the pic than they actually were.

Attachments:
                    You must be logged in to view attached files.
                    Joan Simpson
                    Participant

That breakfast looks good Len!

I had seafood gumbo my friend gifted me, was very good.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

We had more of the Potato, Spinach, and Ham Tart for dinner on Monday and agreed that it was just as good today as yesterday.

RiversideLen
                        Participant

Joan and BA, both your dinners sound like heaven!

I'm making a burger with mashed taters and brussels sprouts and carrot.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

I had the rest of the seafood gumbo, so good.

Thank you Mike for trying to help me today!This old gal ain't the smartest when it comes to computers or iPhones but I'm learning.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

The maximum image upload size is set to 512K and so far I haven't been able to find where that is set to change it. (Very frustrating!)

So you probably need a tool to reduce the size of your photos before you try to upload them. There are numerous such options, including ones on your phone and on a computer. (If you're using Windows, I strongly recommend IrfanView, a free picture editing tool.)

When I take a photo on my iphone to post here, I email it to my gmail account, which gives me an option to set small, medium, large, or full-size, I find the medium choice produces pictures that work well on the site.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Thank you for the compliment, Len. We have really enjoyed that tart!

We finished the Potato, Spinach, and Ham Tart for dinner tonight, along with some microwaved fresh broccoli. I typed up the recipe today. to put into my notebook. I thought of trying to post a picture of it, but like Joan, I am still trying to figure out the digital issues.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

We had the last of the onion soup, and I probably won't make it again until fall.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.