What are You Baking the Week of March 28, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of March 28, 2021?

Viewing 5 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    rottiedogs
    Participant

It is ambitious but I do it every year. Outside of the kolacz and rye bread I only make the rest of it for Easter.

Easter pizza looks like a giant ravioli. The dough has an egg and some oil in it besides the normal flour - water - salt - yeast. It gets rolled out maybe 16 inches around. The filling is:

1 1/2# Ricotta Cheese drained
      1# Italian Sausage (casings removed cooked, cooled & crumbled)
      Proscuttio (one slice about 1/4" thick) diced fine
      1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
      1/4 to 1/2 cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese ( I never use parmesan. We always had Romano growing up.)
      Black Pepper to taste
      1 to 2 eggs (depending on how watery the Ricotta is)
      Mix together everything but the egg(s) (I use a fork to mash the cheese & other ingredients) then add the egg or eggs and mix well.

Put the dough on a cookie sheet or pizza pan after it is rolled out. I put a piece of parchment on the cookie sheet before I place the dough. The filling goes on the bottom half of the dough leaving an inch all around so the edges can be crimped. Flip the dough over the top of the filling and trim to make the edges even. Dip a fork in flour and crimp the edges well. Brush the top with an egg yolk. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes until nice and brown.

I posted this on the old old BC years ago. I'm sure it got lost like so many other recipes did.

Easter bread ingredients are the same as for the Easter pizza adding about 1/2 cup of sugar and a couple teaspoons of vanilla. It is shaped in a ring and gets frosted with a simple powder sugar glaze and non-pareils. Growing up my grandmother would put colored eggs in the dough. I don't eat them so I don't bother doing it even though it is tradtional.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by rottiedogs.
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I baked 4 of the cinnamon/maple fan tan rolls this morning. I took them out of the freezer and put them in a muffin tin, preheated the oven, and put them in about 20 minutes later, at which point they were not yet fully defrosted. I baked them for 25 minutes at 325.

They rose just fine in the oven, and the butter/sugar mixture stayed together longer since the butter was still mostly frozen, so there were lovely pockets of caramel in between layers. That made them better than the ones I baked the other day but didn't freeze.

The only thing I might do differently is put them in some mini-loaf pans instead of the muffin tin, we may try that tomorrow.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Your Easter baking sounds so good, Rottiedogs.

Congratulations on the fantail rolls, Mike!

We have been eating too many cakes of late, so I scaled back for Easter tomorrow by baking six bunny cakelets in the specialty Nordic Ware bunny pan. (I think KABC has it for sale; I bought mine for a lot less at T.J. Maxx a few years ago.) I used the recipe that came with the pan, but I substituted one-third barley flour and used King Arthur AP for the rest. I reduced the sugar from 1 cup to 3/4 cup, and I replaced 1/2 cup butter, melted, with 1/3 cup oil. I whisk together the wet ingredients and the sugar before using a cake whisk to add the dry ingredients. These are cute, although they puff up a bit too high, so I will have to trim the tummy area to get them flat on a plate. I plan to put a vanilla glaze, and maybe some colored sprinkles over them tomorrow.

My husband just said: You only made six? Clearly he does not share my concern that there are a lot of bread and cake items around of late.

chocomouse
          Participant

Today I made a new, to me, rye bread recipe, the KAF Double Light Rye Bread. We haven't cut into it yet, but it looks terrific. I may have finally mastered baking bread in my new Breville!! I put it on the very lowest possible rack setting, so it is literally right on the heating elements. I set it for 350, 30 minutes, on plain Bake. At 30 minutes it looked perfect, light brown bottoms, medium brown tops (two loaves), but internal temp was only 165*. I set it for 5 more minutes, and they were then at 194*. Done! I'm so pleased. I do hope they have an OK texture and flavor. They didn't rise a lot, and very little oven spring. Next time I'll leave them alone and see if another 10-15 minutes get more rise.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

King Arthur has posted instructions for making rye puff pastry (using rye and wheat flour) and several things you can make with it

Rye Puff Pastry

Viewing 5 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.