Cornmeal-Pumpernickel Waffles

Home Forums Recipes Cornmeal-Pumpernickel Waffles

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Cornmeal-Pumpernickel Rye Waffles

Marliss Desens adapted this recipe from "Cornmeal-Rye Waffles" in The King Arthur Whole Grain Baking Book (p. 21). Bob's Red Mill medium grind cornmeal gives a slight, pleasant chewiness. I use King Arthur's pumpernickel (only place I can find it.)

2 cups medium grind wholegrain cornmeal
      1 cup pumpernickel flour
      ¼ cup sugar
      2 tsp. baking powder
      1 tsp. salt
      1 tsp. baking soda
      2 Tbs. Bob's Red Mill milk powder

3 cups buttermilk
      1/3 cup canola oil
      2 eggs

In large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients (first group).

In small bowl (I use a 4-cup measuring cup), whisk together buttermilk and oil, then theggs. Add to dry ingredients and fold in gently. (I use a cake whisk, then switch to a spatula.) Let the batter rest for 10 minutes to allow the cornmeal to soften. Pre-heat the waffle iron.

From here, it is a matter of "know thy waffle iron." I use a Belgium waffle iron that makes two waffles at a time. I use about ¼ to1/3 cup batter per waffle (approximate because I use a ladle that works well). Bake until the waffle stops steaming. For my waffle iron and this recipe 4 minutes, 30 seconds is ideal. Serve warm with maple syrup.

Yield: About 14 individual Belgium waffle squares.

Leftovers can be frozen when cooled. I cut into individual squares, wrap with saran, then put in a bag in the freezer. I re-heat at 375F in a countertop convection oven for five minutes. A good toaster, which I do not have, would also work.

What I changed: I replaced 6 Tbs. of butter with the oil. I tried ¼ cup of oil, but 1/3 seems to work better. I tried avocado oil, but it made the waffles too fragile. I added the milk powder for more calcium, but I also think it improves texture. I reduced the salt from 2 tsp. to 1 tsp. (What the heck were they thinking?!)

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.