What are you Baking the Week of January 3, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of January 3, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I plan to make the second round of empanadas today, adding more caramel to the filling than yesterday. I think I'll make an Irish Apple Cake with the rest of the apple pie filling I defrosted.

Spread the word
      cwcdesign
      Participant

copying my reply about Dessert Person here
        Mike sorry to take so long to answer and also to wish everyone a Happy New Year – I am hunting and pecking with my right hand as I managed to break my wrist on NYD while Will and I were out for a walk – 3 hours in the ER – not too bad – its a radial fracture which is the most common type – good news is the bone is fine, but I crushed the radius and might have to have a plate surgically put in. needless to say my dominate left hand is in a splint over my elbow – 6 weeks! hopfully I will be able to spend some time at work – will know more when I see to doctor this week. as the swelling is going down the pain is starting.

Dessert Person is a beautiful book – in the beginning she has a chart from beginner to expert recipes and at the same time how long they take – one of her expert recipes is kouign amann and the photography is beautiful. she has a whole savory section. the title comes from the fact that many people will say “I am not a dessert person”

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

The second batch of empanadas is better than the first one, I added more caramel to the filling and used more sugar on the outside.

My goal was to come up with something close to the caramel apple empanadas that Taco Bell used to sell. They discontinued them a year or so ago, and I haven't been to a Taco Bell since, and have no desire to ever eat there again. (There are plenty of places I can get a better taco or burrito within a few blocks of us.)

Anyway, the filling is pretty close, the crust isn't quite right. I may try the butter pie crust I normally use but maybe with a bit more sugar in the dough. (The one I used for this test has egg in it and it isn't very flaky.)

Italiancook
          Participant

For the first time, I baked KABC's Classic Sandwich Bread. I had 2 slices with blackberry jam for dinner. There's milk in the bread, and milk has protein, so I had protein, starch, and fruit. Well-balanced meal in some universe.

Something happened during the baking that has never before happened to me. My finished loaf had 4 baked air bubbles on the top crust and one small divot, also on the top crust. Everything looked normal when sliced. What did I do wrong to make the air bubbles above the crust?

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

As I understand it, air bubbles just below the crust are generally a proofing issue, ones further inside the loaf are shaping issues.

chocomouse
              Participant

I made my husband a birthday cake today. I made a white two-layer cake, and spread home-made raspberry jam between the layers, then frosted it with chocolate ganache. It is delicious. No candles -- not allowed after age 75!

RiversideLen
                Participant

I made my sandwich buns today, 6 with sesame seeds and 2 with onion. I had been thinking about doing this for a while, I took some dried onion and re-hydrated it in a little water, drained it and then pressed the top of the buns onto them. They look good but I won't know about the taste until tomorrow.

IMG_0959

Attachments:
                  You must be logged in to view attached files.
                  BakerAunt
                  Participant

On Sunday, I fed my sourdough and made dough for my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers.

Your buns look very nice, Len.

That cake sounds fantastic, Chocomouse. Happy Birthday to your husband.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Chocomouse Happy Birthday to your husband and the cake sounds wonderful!

Len,your buns look very good!

Italiancook I love the Classic sandwich bread and I like to sub 1 cup of whole wheat for 1 of the white.

No baking for me today.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

One of the older professors in my wife's department tripped over an electrical cable in his back yard a couple of months ago and broke his upper arm so bad they had to replace the upper arm bone with a titanium one.

He's going to be in recovery mode for several more months and will not be teaching any in-person classes in the winter/spring semester. He used to ride his bike to campus in good weather, not sure when he'll be able to resume that. He was running 4-5 miles a day, he's back up to about 2 miles a day, but at a slower pace.

aaronatthedoublef
                        Participant

Chocomouse - that cake sounds great!

I tried the KAF potato buns again. I upped the water from 227 to 275 g. Much softer and much closer to what I was looking for. In homage to BA I left out the melted butter (okay, I was rushing and forgot it) but everyone liked the buns without it so I may leave them out.

Need to work on my shaping now. And maybe I'll try adding some seeds to them like Len. I was at Trader Joe's and saw some Everything Bagel sprinkle. Inspired by all of you who use it here I bought some. My family liked it on BA's crackers and it would probably go well on the potato buns as well.

cwcdesign
                          Participant

I hope I don't have to go through all that Mike - I hope he mends quickly!

I called for my appointment today and the receptionist said next Monday! I explained that the ER doc said I should be seen within 4 days and that it might require surgery. she caught up with doctor and I go in at 11!

skeptic7
                            Participant

I did Maple popcorn on Sunday morning. I did two batches making about 4 quarts, 16 cups in total. this recipe involves tossing the popcorn with maple syrup and butter with a little powdered ginger, cinnamon and salt and baking it. It was very good. I was hoping to share this with friends and gave them a quart container each. They liked it.

https://www.yummly.com/recipe/Maple-Popcorn-2609588?prm-v1#directions

kimbob
                              Participant

Wow! Everyone's baking sounds and looks delicious.
                                I made oatmeal raisin cookies, per request, for someone I worked with at the library. It's her birthday tomorrow. Also, a batch of SoNo bakery oatmeal chocolate chip coconut cookies. They're soooooo good! Since I had walnut filling left over, made a Hungarian nut roll today, too. Whew, I'm done. Wish I had the inclination to vacuum! Lol

kimbob
                                Participant

Cwcdesign, what did the dr say??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.