What are you Baking the Week of January 3, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of January 3, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Kimbob: What is this vacuum of which you speak? 🙂

cwcdesign
      Participant

Surgery - either Thursday if the swelling is down or next Wednesday if not. After I left the office they had me go straight to the hospital for pre-op. I have to see my primary care tomorrow. It’s outpatient surgery which is good. I’m icing as much I can to help get the swelling down 😁

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by cwcdesign.
        Italiancook
        Participant

Okay, so I'm a dough bucket convert. The problem is that I bought the KABC Extra Large Dough Bucket but will probably never use it. It's too many quarts for the way I bake bread. Their 2 quart bucket is too small for some of my loaves. I convinced myself that I need the 4 quart bucket, and KABC doesn't sell it.

I found one at the following link for Cambro. They don't call it a dough bucket. They call these buckets, "translucent rounds." The website has a service to find a supplier near you. I bought their 4 quarter translucent round, but they also have other sizes. CAUTION NOTE: The KABC blurb says theirs is BPA-free. Cambro says theirs are "NSF listed, with no mention of BPA. Even though I Googled, I don't really understand what NSF listed means. But since this is a company that makes products for restaurants, I took a chance on it. Mine says it's made in USA.

ANOTHER CAUTION NOTE: The lid isn't included. You have the buy the lid separately.

https://www.cambro.com/

BakerAunt
          Participant

I baked whole Grain Pumpkin Bread on Tuesday, using the recipe at Nebraska Kitchen that Lemon Poppy originally put on the Baking Circle. Ever since I needed to give up most butter, it has been my go-to recipe. I usually substitute in a cup of barley flour, but since Bob’s Red Mill may have discontinued it, I am rationing the barley flour, so I used whole wheat pastry flour instead. As always, I reduce the sugar to 1 ¾ cups, and I follow Lemon Poppy’s suggestion to use half buttermilk and oil. I also decided that it would be best in five rather than six 3x6-inch pans, and that worked well. The pumpkin I used was from three years ago; clearly it got lost in the freezer.

My other baking project on Tuesday was to satisfy my yearning for a cinnamon swirl bread with raisins that I can eat with breakfast, and on which my husband can snack. I have a recipe for Oatmeal-Cinnamon Raisin Bread that came from The Baking Sheet (Spring 1999), pp. 24-25. I proceeded to make a lot of changes. I used half whole wheat flour and half bread flour and added 1 Tbs. special dry milk and 1 Tbs. flax meal. I substituted in 1 cup of buttermilk. I cut the brown sugar to 3 Tbs. and used 2 ½ Tbs. olive oil in place of the butter. I used 1 ¾ tsp. yeast. Instead of oats, I used a generous ½ cup of Bob’s Red Mill Muesli, which I soaked in the buttermilk. The dough seemed slightly dry, so I added 1 tsp. water as it kneaded in the bread machine. I added 1/3 cup golden raisins. For the filling, I had some sugar and cinnamon (what I had forgotten to put into a recipe a few weeks ago), so I used it, then spritzed it before rolling up the dough into a loaf. I chose an 8x4 USA loaf pan. Both rises took 80 minutes. I moved the containers to the front room where it was warmer. The loaf was not done after 35 minutes of baking at 375F. It needed another ten minutes. I did tent with foil after the first 25 minutes, and the crust still got a bit darker than I wanted, It’s cooling now, and I will have a slice at breakfast.

This dough fit in the small 2-quart dough bucket, but Italian Cook is correct that some breads, like the wheat rye bread I baked on New Year's Eve, do better with a 4-qt.

BakerAunt
            Participant

My cinnamon bread turned out well. I would slightly increase the liquid, perhaps by 1 Tbs. next time, but I'm pleased with how well the swirl turned out, and I like the flavor of the muesli.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I am making a batch of bagels today.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Actually, I think that next time I will instead add an egg to the Cinnamon Bread.

I got a late start on the bread I needed to bake so that we have sandwiches tomorrow due to the events of this afternoon. After dinner, I pulled out the bread machine and let it knead a single recipe of Len’s Whole Wheat/Rye/Semolina bread. It is now on the second rise and will shortly go into the oven.

Italiancook
                  Participant

I baked KABC English Muffin Toasting Bread. I'll wrap it & make French Toast tomorrow & for the freezer.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I'm making semolina bread today.

cwcdesign
                      Participant

Surgery next Wednesday- Dr actually is confident with delay - within time frame he prefers and it will be at their outpatient clinic instead of hospital- I feel a little less stress

skeptic7
                        Participant

I made cheese pizza on Tuesday, and Spinach pizza on Wednesday. I like having pizza in the refrigerator for a fast lunch/snack but I think I was overdoing it.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Best wishes, CWCdesign for the surgery. I'm glad that you will be able to come home afterwards. About a dozen years ago, a friend of mine sustained a broken wrist injury while out walking, and she also had to have surgery, but she recovered with the operation and physical therapy.

cwcdesign
                            Participant

Thanks BA, its the most common arm injury - another friend had it happen a few years ago.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

On Saturday morning, I baked “Deep Dark Brownies,” a recipe that I got from King Arthur some years ago. Although they baked it in a 9x9 pan, I found the center baked better if I used a 10x10 ceramic square dish that I bought from KAF. (They certainly missed out on THAT promotion idea!) The recipe is oil based, so that works with how I bake these days, but I wanted to see if I could improve the health value. I started by omitting 1 cup of chocolate chips. (Sigh.) In addition, this time I reduced the granulated sugar from 1 ½ cup to 1 ¼ cup but left alone the ½ cup powdered sugar. As I use the double Dutch cocoa and 1 Tbs. espresso powder, I thought reducing the sugar would give more of the intensity of dark chocolate, and it did. I also added 1 Tbs. Bob’s Red Mill milk powder, 1 Tbs. flax meal, and substituted half barley flour for that much AP flour for nutrition. I replaced ¼ of the ½ cup of oil with buttermilk. I decided to omit the nuts. I decorated the top with some chocolate sprinkles and some small snowflake-shaped candies. I baked for 30 minutes on the third rack up in my oven. By baking in the morning, I was able to let the brownies rest for seven hours before we cut them for dessert tonight. My husband went back for seconds, so my healthy modifications did not deter his enjoyment, nor mine

skeptic7
                                Participant

The deep dark brownies sound great. Are these a cakey or fudgey type of brownies?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.