What are you Baking the Week of April 7, 2024?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of April 7, 2024?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

No baking planned here yet.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I baked dried fruit and walnut scones for breakfast on Sunday. This is the oil-based recipe that I use for my Cranberry Scones. I forgot to add a tsp. of cinnamon for the fruit and nut scones, but they are still delicious, so cinnamon or any spice is optional. I sprinkled demerara sugar on top before baking. The dough was sturdy enough that I was able to cut it in quarters, then cut each quarter in half and form it into balls with my hands. I pressed them down just slightly.

BakerAunt
        Participant

On Friday morning, I experimented to see if I could bake my cinnamon scone recipe with canola oil replacing the butter. The experiment is a success. Yes, there is not that buttery taste. However, the substitute comes close, and possibly using avocado oil might bring it closer, so I will try it next time.

I had one small butternut squash left from the fall, so on Friday I used it to make Butternut Squash, Kale, and Mozzarella Savory Tart. I adapted this recipe from an America's Test Kitchen recipe that appeared in a Splendid Table email. I use a large quiche dish, so that I can use my oil crust, and I have made a few other changes. I had a slice for lunch, and I will be having it for lunch in the coming week.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

I made a coconut pie to take to our poker game tonight.My piecrust wouldn't roll our right for me today I wadded it up twice to re roll and thought it was a little dry so I wet my hands under water and smashed it together and rolled it between parchment paper and cling wrap, it worked like a charm.I was really frustrated but the pie was good and the crust was fine.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Thanks for sharing your pie crust rolling experience, Joan. It's great to know how problems can be fixed.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

I had to make pie crusts today and made another coconut pie to take to my friends for supper today.All went well!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.