What are you Cooking the Week of September 26, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of September 26, 2021?

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    navlys
    Participant

Riverside Len I never thought of adding potato flakes to thicken soup. Good idea! And thanks BA for fish recipe. It's on my "to make" list!

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I'm cooking an eye of round today, we'll have leftover roast beef for several days.

Italiancook
        Participant

Yesterday, I made Beef Burgundy with a Sicilian wine, since Burgundy is impossible to find. We had it for dinner, over mashed potatoes, with canned corn and cucumber/tomato marinated salad. I hesitated a long time before choosing corn. I only had 2 cans of corn. Last year, it was in short supply. With the aluminum can shortage, it may be in shorter supply this year. I wasn't sure it was wise to pare down my corn stock to only 1 can. But I ended up using it. The supply dilemma made me feel like the corn was the most expensive part of the meal, not the beef.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I've been using Australian wines for boeuf bourguignon, Lindeman has a shiraz that I like and also a good cabernet. Shiraz is a grape that gets dissed by the wine snobs, but I think it makes an excellent cooking wine.

RiversideLen
            Participant

I made chicken and Italian sausage stew in my Dutch oven. It's pretty simple but the sausage perks it up, it came out real good.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

I was gifted with some fresh shrimp so I sauteed them in olive oil and garlic,baked potato and a green salad and I made some fresh cocktail sauce.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Italian Cook--Have you tried frozen corn? I have a quinoa salad that I make. I microwave the frozen corn, then let it cool before adding to the salad. If you could keep a package in your freezer, then you would have some flexibility and could save that last can of corn for when you need it.

I have not noticed a canned corn shortage, but I have not bought canned corn in years.

Italiancook
                  Participant

BakerAunt, have you ever heard the saying, "can't see the forest for the trees." I always have frozen corn in the freezer and didn't even think of it when going through my canned corn debate. To-date, I've only used frozen corn in soups. Now, I'll venture out on your suggestion. Thanks!

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Jack Stack BBQ restaurants in the KC area make a cheesy corn bake that is very good. There are copycat recipes available for it that use frozen corn. (We leave out the garlic, of course.)

chocomouse
                      Participant

ItalianCook, there doesn't seem to be a shortage of pasta on the grocery shelves here at this time, although they were empty last spring. Along with the various sauces! I had decided that folks who didn't know how to cook, and usually got fast food, resorted to pasta and jarred sauce for meals. But since you mentioned it, I've inventoried my pastas and will buy a few boxes! Thanks!

cwcdesign
                        Participant

Oops - put in wrong thread. Moved it to week of October 3rd.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.