What are you Cooking the Week of September 26, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of September 26, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Now that we've got the SubZero refrigerator and freezer repaired, it may expand our dinner options a bit. We have been hesitant to open a large jar of artichoke hearts, for example, but maybe we can have a lavash pizza tonight.

I found some 10x11x7 wire freezer baskets online and ordered 6 of them, I'm hoping that by keeping things in the freezer a bit better organized we'll use things more. (Recently I was looking for a small bag of shredded mozzarella, I knew I still had some, but couldn't find them, so I bought another 5 pound bag at Sams.)

It also may help keep us from overloading the freezer, and the items may keep better because the cold air circulates better around the baskets. That may even help prevent another defrost timer failure.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

It's fend for yourself tonight...I had hotdog, my husband made him a tomato sandwich and a can of bean soup.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

We're doing a lavash pizza tonight.

chocomouse
          Participant

We had salmon, macaroni salad with onions, red peppers and peas, and the last of the green, yellow and purple beans for this season.

Janiebakes
            Participant

Went apple picking with two other familys. Rode the hay wagon out to the orchard. Picked corn and pumpkins too. Stopped for pizza and soft serve ice cream on the way home. A beautiful warm autumn day with blue skies. So gateful.

RiversideLen
              Participant

I made a pork roast on the BBQ today, had it with rice and asparagus.

cwcdesign
                Participant

I made a salad which was a mashup of 3 of Ina Garten's recipes. I made maple roasted carrots which would make a fabulous Thanksgiving side. I chopped an apple, toasted some pecans and also added blue cheese and dried cranberries - the base was Bibb lettuce and baby arugula. I ended up using some Newman's balsamic vinaigrette that was in the fridge. I realized most of the items in her salads were too sweet, so I cut out the added orange juice and maple syrup (except for the carrots). I had some deli turkey on the side for protein; Will found other fill-ins.

found an Envy apple from New Zealand on sale at the Market which was nice but nothing that would make me rush out to buy it again. The regular honey crisps were more expensive than the organic ones. Go figure. One problem with living in the far South is there are no apple orchards near by.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Tonight I baked a pork tenderloin, peas with snaps and candied sweet potatoes and cream cheese pound cake for dessert.

chocomouse
                    Participant

Leftovers to clean out the fridge tonight!

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I made a batch of tomato sauce on Monday using the tomatoes that have finally started piling up from our garden. Unlike Mike and Chocomouse, we only have a few tomato plants. That is just as well as I have not yet replaced the 4-qt. Calphalon saute pan I lost last year when the coating came off. I want a stainless steel pan, but they are pricy. I am reduced to using an All Clad round roaster pan, but it is not deep enough for more than 5 cups of tomatoes at a time.

Dinner on Monday was breaded chicken breasts, leftover rolls, and green beans from our garden. There may be a few more green beans, but not enough for another side dish.

cwcdesign
                        Participant

FYI, BA - I've been wanting a 12" stainless steel sauté pan and I also want a class lid. The one I'm eyeing is a Cuisinart (all my stainless is Cuisinart that I got almost 40 years ago) because I found it to be less expensive than all the other brands such as Calphalon and All-Clad. It's worth a look.

I grilled chicken sausage to go with the leftovers of our salad. I've realized that I get the best flavor out of the sausage when it's grilled.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

Made In has several stainless steel pans including a 12 inch frying pan and a 3 quart saucier that I've been eyeing, price looks good and their stuff is getting good reviews and endorsements from chefs I respect. I don't know if they've got one with a glass lid, but personally I prefer a metal lid. They also have non-stick pans, but I prefer stainless steel ones.

I've got two 10" Ikea stainless steel saute pans that are also very good and reasonably priced, but the nearest Ikea for us is in Kansas City.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

I have been looking at Made In, since I get emails from them. I am considering buying one of their stainless steel pans. For the most part, I also prefer metal lids, but I have a glass one from a pan that bit the dust that fits nicely on the small Calphalon pan I use for cooking my steel-cut oats in the morning.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

We had roast beef and gravy from the freezer,mashed potatoes and leftover green butter beans.I had a great visit with my sister,she loved the cake and all the goodies and we even got a big surprise a local gospel group came and we heard gospel songs for a great uplifting day!They setup right on the big covered porch and about 40 folks came out to listen.Very nice!!!

chocomouse
                                Participant

Tomato soup and garlic knots from the freezer for dinner. I processed 6 half pints of hot pepper relish. I have plenty more red peppers, but need to buy some jalepenos to make more relish. I also sliced or chopped or halved a couple dozen green peppers for the freezer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.