KAF reports 2000% increase in online flour sales

Home Forums General Discussions KAF reports 2000% increase in online flour sales

Viewing 3 posts - 76 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    Italiancook
    Participant

I wonder if new bakers are still baking now that the weather is nice. My store only had 3 - 5 lbs. bags KAF AP, and I bought one of them.

aaronatthedoublef
      Participant

Maintaining a well stocked pantry (including butter and eggs in this) can be a bit of a challenge even in non-pandemic times. Mixes do make that a little easier so I get it. Plus I have many friends who start out baking and then give up because it doesn't look like the blog they are following. I am thinking of starting a new blog (because the world needs another person writing about baking) called "Bad bakes and ugly cakes" which features blow out and fallen cakes and cookies that spread into each other.

I am baking more and continuing to bake more even though work never slowed down (it increased) and we have more to do with the kids because they are home more. But I stopped traveling which gave me time to build a starter (plus starters were all the rage so I had the okay to have one on the counter) and time to bake bread. Plus I am sleeping less lately so that gives me more time to bake.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Being retired gave me more time to bake, even before the Pandemic, but my high cholesterol issue pushed me into baking fewer cookies. My cracker output increased, because we banned commercial crackers and tortilla chips (sob!) from the house, and my husband is a Snackasaurus. While the Pandemic did not increase my baking, it spurred more experimentation, particularly with my sourdough starter. The latter may be in part because Aaron's experimentation with sourdough made me reallize that I needed to use mine for more than crackers and the rare loaf of bread. My husband also stopped looking suspiciously at breads made with sourdough and happily consumed them.

I'm Pantry Paranoid these days about running out of basic supplies--or what I consider basic supplies. I was happy that Bob's Red Mill had their free shipping option back and that they had enough of what I needed that I could stock up, even with some limits in place. I wish that they would get their milk powder back in stock, as I use it for making yogurt, my Sourdough crackers, and for my granola (another food the Snackasaurus likes). I've started holding back on using it for calcium enrichment in baked goods.

Viewing 3 posts - 76 through 78 (of 78 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.