KAF reports 2000% increase in online flour sales

Home Forums General Discussions KAF reports 2000% increase in online flour sales

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

According to AdWeek, King Arthur Flour reported a 2000% increase in online flour sales in March compared to last year.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Hmm--3 pounds of that was the bag of pumpernickel that I bought when I had a Bakers Bucks to use in March.

Of course, all that flour that was bought has to be stored by bakers who don't usually buy large bags:

https://www.foodandwine.com/cooking-techniques/baking/how-do-i-store-this-50-pound-bag-of-flour?did=520522-20200506&utm_campaign=faw-daily_newsletter&utm_source=foodandwine.com&utm_medium=email&utm_content=050620&cid=520522&mid=33373029367

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

My guess is most of it was no bigger than 10 pound bags, because it is hard to order the big ones on their website.

Costco had 12 pound bags of KAF AP earlier this year, I don't know if they've gotten any back in stock yet. Right now I suspect they don't see the need to create a custom size bag they sell at a discount, they can sell as much as they can bag up through other channels.

Italiancook
          Participant

My grandmother's house had a cubby area in the wall at the middle of the stairs. She stored a 50 pound bag of flour there. Every time she wanted to bake, my dad had to carry the flour down to the kitchen for her. It was always in the bag. I don't know how she kept it sealed to protect it from bugs.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

My grandmother had a metal flour bin that held probably 10 pounds of flour with a built-in sifter built into her kitchen cabinets, she'd slide the thing out and sift out the flour she needed.

I've always suspected that she just picked any flour beetles and India moth larvae out of the bowl. She grew up on an Iowa farm, so she wasn't at all squeamish about bugs, baiting fish hooks or killing and cleaning fish that we had just caught. She was an expert forager, we'd prowl the country roads on Sunday afternoons in the fall looking for nuts and berries, traipse through the snow in January to find streams where watercress grew, she even knew a few mushrooms.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Most freestanding hoosiers (kitchen cabinet with work space) have built in flour storage. The one in my grandmother's kitchen had one, but I don't recall flour being kept in it, maybe because I don't remember her doing much baking. She was a nurse, and her mother-in-law from her first marriage lived with the family and did the cooking and looking after the children. The one thing I remember her making is fried Spam, which we thought was great, but she must have cooked other foods when we were there for long summer visits. Nothing else stands out in my memory.

I own two large containers that each hold a 25 lb. bag of flour. I bought them from KAF back when they shipped 25 lb. bags for home orders. They sat, one on top of the other, in the big kitchen in my house. It was a tighter squeeze when I got married and moved into my husband's house with its kitchen that was a third of the size! There is no room for them in the kitchen we have now, as there was no room to put in the walk-in pantry of my dreams. However, I've yet to snare a 25 lb. bag of flour since we moved here, not to mention a 50 lb. one.

I'm editing this post and have unchecked the "keep a log of this edit." Let's see what happens.

RiversideLen
                Participant

I was just browsing the KAF site, to my delight Bread Flour and Whole Wheat 5 pound bags are available right now, limit of 2 each. Did I place an order? The site was slow but yes I did!

Italiancook
                  Participant

Thanks for the update, Len.

kimbob
                    Participant

Omg! Thanks, Len. I was on looking for semolina and 00flour but they didn't have it. Bought the bread flour, whole wheat, yeast and the oil spray. Thanks for posting!
                      P s. They have yeast

RiversideLen
                      Participant

You all are welcome. I didn't think about looking for yeast, I was so excited to get 20 pounds of flour. I have a pound that I bought last Autumn and about 3 ounces left from my open container. I'm also using the "use less yeast" method for my usual bread so I will be ok for a while.

kimbob
                        Participant

I didn't think about yeast, either, but it popped up and I saw it was avail. I have some saf yeast but it's old. I keep it in the freezer and it's still working great but figured since kaf had it I should buy it in case the stuff I have poops out. Lol I did buy semolina and 00flour from nuts.com. Got some chia seeds, too.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Bob's Red Mill occasionally has items available as well. Their shipping is faster than KAF's. The BRM order arrives in about a week. My last KAF order took about three weeks.

kimbob
                            Participant

At stopnshop this morning they had 5 lb bags of unbleached flour. Bought 2. They had the unbleached organic flour, too, at nearly twice the price. Think the organic flour is worth it? Maybe one day I'll buy some.

kimbob
                              Participant

Oh, I'm talking about kaf flour.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

Sams Club had their usual assortment of flours today (all bleached), and they also had Fleischmann's IDY in 2 pound sets, so I got one and now I've got enough yeast to get me through the rest of the year and probably beyond.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 78 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.