KAF reports 2000% increase in online flour sales

Home Forums General Discussions KAF reports 2000% increase in online flour sales

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I saw fresh yeast at our local grocery store today! It probably ended up there as a casualty of the shutdowns in the restaurant industry. It was a block about the size of a one-pound box of butter and selling for $2.99. I was tempted, but I did not see an expiration date, and I know fresh yeast does not last as long as the freeze-dried yeast, so I did not buy it.

RiversideLen
      Participant

I was able to get a 4 ounce jar of Red Star ADY over the weekend from Whole Foods and saw that envelopes of yeast are available (in my area) from Amazon Fresh. I have an online friend in Canada (Toronto area) and she told me she can't find yeast anywhere. The 4 ounce jar cost $7.99 which is more than a pound of SAF from KA.

kimbob
        Participant

Inside King Arthur Flour, the Company Supplying America's Sudden Baking Obsession | Marker" https://marker.medium.com/amp/p/623034583579

skeptic7
          Participant

Nice article! I wonder if the stores I frequent are getting sold out before I get there as opposed to not being able to get any flour. I wonder if any bakeries in my area have extra 50 lb bags for sale. I could try sharing with neighbors 🙂

BakerAunt
            Participant

If I read correctly, KAF is prioritizing AP flour, so KAF whole wheat may not be as readily available.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

BA, if you happen to see that fresh yeast at the store again, can you take a picture of it and send it to me?

There's been an interesting discussion on fresh versus ADY or IDY on the BBGA Forum, with one baker talking about getting a case of fresh yeast in the summertime that was, well, awful.

chocomouse
                Participant

KAF had a local news article this week that they have contracted with a new mill to help process and bag wheat for some of their AP flour, since their usual mills were unable to keep up with the demand and the supply of raw wheat. They're bagging it in 3 pound resealable bags. And since it is not a nut-free, allergen free facility, the flour is not certified allergen free. It is a temporary plan, to solve a hopefully, temporary problem. I wonder when we will start to see those bags in the markets.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I have seen the 3 lb. bags on the KAF website.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Mike--the fresh yeast was wrapped in a somewhat opaque plastic wrap that showed what looked like a crumbly cheese inside. It had no writing on the wrapper, just a round sticker that said $2.99. I think there was a sign on the refrigerator holder that identified it as yeast. I'm speculating that these individual packages were once in a larger box that had the expiration date.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

Sounds more like it was part of a larger block that someone cut up into smaller blocks. Bakeries can buy relatively large blocks of it, like 20 pounds.

I know of bakeries that are selling repackaged bags of flour, too. Apparently they don't have to meet all the normal packaging and labeling requirements.

skeptic7
                        Participant

Supposedly there are bakeries that are doing that around here. They weren't in my neighborhood and I didn't want to drive around so I didn't write down the contact information. I wonder if they are still doing it.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

We went to the next town today to shop, for the first time, since March 13, at Aldi's and Kroger. We avoided Walmart. I was impressed with the precautions Aldi's is taking. All the workers in masks and gloves. Sanitized carts (with quarters) at the ready. Shelves were stocked and prices had not skyrocketed. They were low on frozen vegetables. I didn't check meat, other than the 2 packages of frozen ground turkey we were able to buy. Aldi's was limiting meat purchases to two of each. I didn't mind the one-way aisles, and all the shoppers wore masks. We went during the special "vulnerable" time--a little after 8:30 a.m. (Aldi's does it Tues. and Thurs.)

A lot more people were at Kroger. Most were wearing masks, and all the workers wore them. They have banned bring your own bags for now. The flour aisle was sparse, but I saw a bag of Bob's Red Mill Whole Wheat flour and a bag of semolina, so I bought both. They had no King Arthur flour. They had "simple truth" organic whole wheat flour, but I don't know how that brand's flour is, and I don't need more whole wheat right now. There was bleached flour, and some Gold Medal Bread flour, some White Lily, and some brand I'd never seen. The paper aisle had much empty shelving.

I've noticed that butter seems to be less expensive--both at Aldi's and at Kroger, where they had Cabot butter on special.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I saw butter at $2.68 per pound today. The fancy butters (Pflugra, Kerrygold) seemed to be at their usual price.

cwcdesign
                              Participant

kimbob, thanks for posting that link. The email that I received that had it - the article didn't show up.

The last time I was physically in Harris Teeter which was March 30th, they had KAF on the shelves, but it was 7:30am and it wasn't going to last long. Since then, I've been using theirs and Sam's Club online ordering and curbside pickup - I quite enjoy it.

As soon as the governor (GA) lifted the shelter-in-place, I was waiting in the express lane and watched people stream into the store with no masks - masks were in the vast minority - it looked like Christmas Eve. The day before I had friends that were in the store and they only saw one family without.

RiversideLen
                                Participant

I placed an order with KAF a couple of weeks ago, I got the shipment email a few days ago and Fedex had it scheduled to arrive today. I looked at the tracking and saw the package hadn't moved since Friday, so I didn't think it was getting here today. Just received a text that the new arrival day is this coming Friday. Wonder what's going on with Fedex.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 78 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.