Tue. Sep 29th, 2026

RiversideLen

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,396 through 1,410 (of 2,650 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: First aid!! #27384
    RiversideLen
    Participant

      Sorry about your mishap, Kimbob, I never knew that about Vaseline either.

      in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of November 8, 2020? #27380
      RiversideLen
      Participant

        I opened my can of "best by 12-2019" pumpkin and it looked and smelled fine. So I turned it into a pie. Just had a slice, it's still a little warm, very good!

        IMG_0935

        Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
        in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of November 8, 2020? #27370
        RiversideLen
        Participant

          Thanks everyone. Italiancook, I took your advice and did some additional research. I seem to recall hearing that old canned goods have been found (100 years old) and examined and found to be safe to eat and still nutritious. What I found was that the best by date is determined by the manufacturer of the food. Past that date there might be some degradation of color and taste but it should still be good to use. However, the condition of the can and how it's stored are important too. i.e. avoid dented and rusted cans, store in moderate temps and avoid high humidity and direct sunlight. Also trust your nose, ÿour nose knows". The Food Network has an article on it, How Long Is Canned Food Good I'm planning on making a pie from it, I'll report back.

          in reply to: Covid 19: The Next Six Months #27356
          RiversideLen
          Participant

            Sorry to hear that, Joan. I'm keeping you in my prayers and wishing you a speedy recovery.

            in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of November 8, 2020? #27355
            RiversideLen
            Participant

              Roasted chicken breast (bone in, skin on) and potato, steamed cabbage and carrot and cranberry sauce.

              Question, I have a can of pumpkin puree that has a bet by date of Dec 2019, do you think it's still OK?

              in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of November 8, 2020? #27332
              RiversideLen
              Participant

                I had a non conventional pizza. Ground chicken seasoned with taco seasoning, diced roasted potato, refried beans and topped with a Mexican blend cheese. I made it in a cast iron pan because I was concerned that it would be too juicy to bake on a stone. It was good.

                in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of November 8, 2020? #27315
                RiversideLen
                Participant

                  Nothing today but I made a batch of pizza dough for the next several days. Some semolina with the balance equally divided between AP and WW.

                  in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of November 1, 2020? #27314
                  RiversideLen
                  Participant

                    On Saturday I made a batch of my sandwich buns. I started on a bag of Whole Foods 365 brand of whole wheat flour that I bought when finding KAF was impossible. I've used it in two batches now. It rises and bakes just as good as the KAF WWW which is my usual. The only difference that I can tell is the darker color. I haven't noticed any difference in flavor but my recipe only uses part whole wheat.

                    in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of November 8, 2020? #27313
                    RiversideLen
                    Participant

                      Like with BA, nice weather in Chicagoland the past several days but that's going to change soon.

                      Tonight's dinner was all made on a 1/4 sheet pan lined with foil, an apple stuffed acorn squash, baked potato and a breaded chicken patty (from frozen), and I was able to time it all right. Started the acorn squash in a 400 degree oven, after 15 minutes I added the potato and after another 15 minutes the chicken patty. 30 minutes later it was all done.

                      in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of November 1, 2020? #27298
                      RiversideLen
                      Participant

                        Hope you're feeling better soon, Joan.

                        in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of November 1, 2020? #27187
                        RiversideLen
                        Participant

                          I had a pork chop, rice and mushroom gravy.

                          in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of November 1, 2020? #27179
                          RiversideLen
                          Participant

                            It was real light here. I sat with a neighbor in his front yard, he had buckets set out with candy so the little ghosts and goblins could help themselves. Several other neighbors came by and some beverages were consumed.

                            I'm making a batch of my sandwich buns today.

                            • This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by RiversideLen.
                            in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of October 25, 2020? #27162
                            RiversideLen
                            Participant

                              I had chicken meatballs with bow tie pasta.

                              in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of October 25, 2020? #27129
                              RiversideLen
                              Participant

                                My experience with putting rolls like Kaiser rolls face down on parchment for proofing suggests that you need to lightly oil the parchment, or the dough will stick.

                                When I make Kaiser rolls with a stamp, I put the rolls face down on lightly dusted with flour parchment. That has always worked for me.

                                in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of October 25, 2020? #27128
                                RiversideLen
                                Participant

                                  I roasted a pork chop and an acorn squash. Rounded it out with Brussels sprouts.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 1,396 through 1,410 (of 2,650 total)