What are You Baking the Week of November 15, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of November 15, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

On Sunday, I baked two loaves of my more whole wheat version of Buttermilk Grape Nuts Bread, having ascertained that I have space in the freezer for the extra loaf. I replaced ½ cup of the bread flour with the high-gluten flour I want to use up. The dough seemed slightly dry, so I added 1 Tbs. water as it was kneading. (I wonder if the high gluten flour needs more hydration.) The house was cold (66F), so the first rise was 90 minutes. The second rise was 90 minutes—with my husband starting the fire in the front room after the first hour, and my moving the rising container with the loaves into that room. The loaves are now baking in the oven and looking and smelling good.

Spread the word
      kimbob
      Participant

Apple crisp with macs (my favorite) and honeycrisps. Ina's topping is the best!

skeptic7
        Participant

I did some pumpkin biscotti. I think I might have to make a double batch next time, they were disappearing fast until I put the survivors into the freezer.

Italiancook
          Participant

Yesterday, I made Jenny Jones', jennycancook.com, Buttermilk Spice Cake. I didn't frost it. I covered it in the pan with a plate overnight. It was more moist this morning than yesterday. I don't understand why, but it was a welcome surprise.

BakerAunt
            Participant

On Monday, I baked Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers from dough I had in the refrigerator.

On Monday, I also adapted a recipe for “Pear-Walnut Coffee Cake.” The original is probably from a cooking magazine or booklet from years ago. It was a great favorite of mine, but it calls for ½ cup butter, plus 2 Tbs. in the topping. I replaced the butter with 1/3 cup canola oil and used low-fat sour cream. I used half whole wheat flour and added 2 Tbs. flax meal and 2 Tbs. milk powder (BRM). I also cut the salt to ¼ tsp. I reduced the sugar in the cake to 1/3 cup and the brown sugar in the topping to 1/3 cup, and the butter in the topping to 1 Tbs. I forgot to include ½ tsp. vanilla (lots of interruptions with my husband and the dog), but the cake is still delicious. We had some for dessert.

RiversideLen
              Participant

I made Oatmeal raisin cookies from a recipe that had rave reviews on Food dot com. The recipe is similar to the Quaker Oats recipe but uses more flour and more raisins. The dough was a bit on the dry side. Instead of just raisins, I used a cup of Bakers Dried Fruit blend I had from KAF and a half cup of mini chocolate chips. I baked a half dozen to test them (somebody has to do that!) and portioned out the rest and put them in the freezer to be baked at a later date. They didn’t spread but taste good. Next time I’ll just follow the Quaker Oats recipe.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Len--I've found that the KAF (or KABC) dried fruit blends work best in baking if rehydrated first. I usually put the fruit in a bowl with a Tbs. of water, cover with saran, and microwave for 30 seconds, then allow it to rest. The fruit absorbs most of the water, and thus does not pull it from the baked item.

RiversideLen
                  Participant

BA, I thought about soaking it in rum for a while but decided not too. I never thought about using a little water and microwaving it, thanks for the tip!

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Len--Apple juice works too.

skeptic7
                      Participant

I did whole wheat cheddar cheese bread yesterday. It came out fairly well I think. I made it as a present but I won't hear back from the receipent until later. I forget how much time it takes to knead a loaf of bread when I'm not doing it.
                        I'm going to make some scones, I think chocolate cherry is what I am want right now.

chocomouse
                        Participant

Skeptic, maple walnut scones would be good, too! Although, I can never resist anything chocolate.

cwcdesign
                          Participant

I made two loaves of English muffin toasting bread to slice and put in the freezer.

skeptic7
                            Participant

The Chocolate Cherry scones were great. Maple walnut does sound good, maybe I can try that next. Made the scones last night. I heard back from my friend, she really like the cheddar cheese bread.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

Skeptic7 those chocolate cherry scones sounds great.

Italiancook
                                Participant

My dough bucket has arrived. It's quarantining in the box for a few days before I unpack it. I'm wondering, BakerAunt, is it dishwasher safe? I wash all the plastic storage containers I buy from KABC in the dishwasher, and they survive fine. But I'm unsure of the dough bucket. I'm imagining it to be a less sturdy, more pliable plastic.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.