What are you Cooking the week of November 22, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of November 22, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I think we're doing a ham for Thanksgiving instead of turkey. I'll miss the mashed potatoes, stuffing and gravy more than I will the turkey.

Spread the word
      kimbob
      Participant

Chili with kidney and black beans. It's cold and raw here today.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

Not much cooking here today we had slaw dogs, and home cut fries.

cwcdesign
          Participant

Harris Teeter had their fresh turkey breasts on sale, so I ordered one for pickup on Friday - I didn’t want to deal with anything this week. When Will went to pick up the order (our shopper didn’t call - they’re supposed to) he checked to see if anything was missing - the turkey breast of course and olive oil. So the person who brought the groceries out went back in to check. We did get a turkey breast - a frozen Butterball boneless one, but on the bright side, they didn’t charge us for it. Since it’s only the two of us it’s not a big deal and I don’t have to worry about boning it.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I won't buy brined turkeys or breasts or ones injected with turkey stock. They taste too salty, and that probably means the sodium levels are off the scale. Plus, I don't feel like paying $1.49 or so a pound for salty water.

BakerAunt
              Participant

I roasted and processed two pie pumpkins on Sunday. I set aside pumpkin to make Ginsberg’s Pumpkin Rye bread and froze the rest.

RiversideLen
                Participant

In the past couple of weeks I was able to get fresh, natural, unbrined turkeys from Whole Foods for $1.99 a pound, which was reduced from the regular price of $2.49. I got a 12 pounder that I put in the freezer and a 10 pound one that I cooked yesterday.

I had leftovers today except for fresh veggies (broccoli and carrots).

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by RiversideLen.
                  cwcdesign
                  Participant

Mike, normally I prefer not to get a prepackaged Turkey, but it was free, I can soak it and we might even grill it.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Today was grocery shopping for me first time since I've gotten over Covid and I was tired.Target and Publix but I got almost everything I needed.So for supper I had another slaw dog and chips,my husband had a hamburger steak and a baked potato.

chocomouse
                      Participant

I pulled a container of leftover pasta and meat sauce out of the freezer, along with some olive-cheese rolls, and quickly threw together a green salad. Dinner!

BakerAunt
                        Participant

On Tuesday, I cooked up the rest of our tomatoes that have been ripening in the house. I cooked them down enough for sauce for two pan pizzas. I will freeze these containers.

For lunch on Tuesday, I made a soup using some frozen turkey broth (after setting aside the broth I will need for the ‘stuffing” on Thanksgiving). I used chopped carrots, celery, sliced green onions, sliced mushrooms, and I halved, then peeled a small Queen squash and diced it. I also added some rosemary, sage, thyme, and sweet Curry (Penzey’s), parsley, and the last of the autumn-shaped pasta. It made enough that we can warm it for dinner on Wednesday, so as not to interfere with my pre-Thanksgiving baking.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

I cooked turnip and mustard greens today and with that we had potato salad and cornbread.I was cooking them for Thanksgiving but hubby wanted some tonight,still have plenty.

RiversideLen
                            Participant

I had a hamburger.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow will be ham with potatoes au gratin and apple pie. The ham has been marinating in pineapple juice since yesterday.

I'm going to make mashed potatoes and stuffing on Friday or Saturday, with a turkey tender just to have SOME turkey sandwiches. I was going to do a bone-in turkey breast but they seem to be sold out already. Guess a lot of people are planning smaller gatherings than normal, I'm seeing tons of whole turkeys in the freezer cases.

kimbob
                                Participant

Bought a 6.5 lb turkey breast the end of October. Made a pumpkin pie, boiled shrimp for shrimp cocktail, and cornbread this morning. Tomorrow will be stuffing, cranberry sauce, a veggie, rolls, gravy. Not making potatoes. There's only 3 of us. How much can you eat?! Lol. Champagne, too, of course.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.