What are you Cooking the week of November 22, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of November 22, 2020?

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I made turkey tenders, mashed potatoes, stuffing and gravy today.

RiversideLen
      Participant

Len, you’ve posted a few times about making mushroom gravy. How do you do that? Is it the same as making giblet gravy only with mushrooms? I can see where gravy would be “healthy” if it had mushrooms in it.

Italian Cook, the first thing I do is cook the mushrooms. I saw on ATK that mushrooms have open cells that soak up oil like a sponge, so they suggested that you cook the mushrooms a little before sauteing them as that makes the cells collapse and thus won't soak up all the oil. They used a microwave I use a covered non stick fry pan. After I do that, I add some oil (use butter if you prefer) and I lightly brown the mushrooms (fresh or frozen) as that develops flavor. Then I put the mushrooms in a bowl with any liquid there might be. Then I add oil to the pan and flour and make the roux, slowly add any pan drippings that I have available and chicken stock (I use low or reduced sodium), get it to the consistency that I want and then add the mushrooms with any mushroom liquid there might be. Of course, season to taste.

RiversideLen
        Participant

I froze some turkey from the one I roasted last weekend so today I pulled out one package. I sauteed some celery, onion, carrots, mushrooms and a small garlic clove. Then added the turkey, brought it up to temp, added a half cup of water and covered and simmered it for a few minutes. Then I added about a half can of cream of chicken soup, a little onion and garlic powder and a little paprika for color. Served it over noodles. It was good.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

If you cook mushrooms the Julia Child way, they will soak up the oil/butter at first, but then release a lot of it back into the pan. The trick is not to crowd the mushrooms in the pan.

Italiancook
            Participant

Len, I appreciate your information on making mushroom gravy. I'll probably try my hand at it after the holidays. During this current season, I want to make sure my gravy is tried and true and not experiment until January. That way, if I flop it there won't be a holiday disappointment. It's always good to know ATK techniques, although I sometimes am too lazy to follow them. And thanks, Mike, for the Julia Child input.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.