What are you Baking the week of November 22, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of November 22, 2020?

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Rottiedogs, is your sweet potato pie in the recipe collection here? I see two recipes for it, but neither have your name on it.

My wife is a big fan of baked sweet potatoes, but I don't think she's ever had sweet potato pie. I'm not a fan of pumpkin pie, so anything other than pumpkin pie is worth trying. (I'm not a big fan of baked sweet potatoes, either, though I do like sweet potato fries.)

aaronatthedoublef
      Participant

My wife cubes and roasts sweet potatoes (or maybe they're yams). My oldest and I eat them like potato chips. They are very tasty.

In New England they have squash pie in addition to pumpkin pie. It looks and smells the same but it is made with "squash". The grocery stores even have cans of squash next to the cans of pumpkin. I have not seen this in other parts of the country where I've lived. I first saw it in college and when I asked the cafeteria lady what how it tasted she said "just like pumpkin". I have never looked for recipes to see how it is different or similar.

Violet and I made hazelnut chocolate pie yesterday and pumpkin pie (I swear it wasn't squash) Wednesday. I made the pumpkin pie on the back of the can. Usually I make KABC's from their big baking book. I like the KABC recipe better. I made the chocolate wafer cookies for the chocolate pie crust from the KABC Faux-reos recipe. People kept eating them and I almost did not have enough. I may need to add faux-reos to my seasonal cookie making. Violet is asking to do more and more. She used a pairing knife to trim the pie crust which was a huge first for her. She rolled out the pie dough and also made the chocolate pie crust.

I also made sourdough bread yesterday. My little brother and niece and I were texting pictures back and forth of our baked goods. They made pumpkin and pecan pie and an apple tart. Then they made pie dough cookies with the leftover pie crust. Mine is in the freeze and I'll use it for something sometime.

skeptic7
        Participant

I did three individual apple crisps which were just great. Its been a long time since I made these. Ate one yesterday warm with ice cream, and another one for breakfast today.
          I was thinking of making more pumpkin cornbread but didn't have time.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

The apple pie was great, Jonagolds are good pie apples, as I've read.

cwcdesign
            Participant

Will's pie was a great success. He thinks making all those tortillas helped him understand the pie crust. It was a little firm, but for his first effort, really good - most of mine don't taste as good. The filling his friend was from Bon Appetit - when he gives me the link, I will post it here - I'm not a fan of pumpkin pie (neither is he) but this was the lightest filling I've ever tried and not too sweet.

I made a loaf of pan de mie for our turkey sandwiches. I just used the traditional KAF recipe but used buttermilk instead of regular milk.

BakerAunt
              Participant

I've become a pumpkin pie snob in that the only pumpkin pie I like is the one that I bake.

My Spiced Pumpkin bread is really great for turkey sandwiches. I worried about the extra 3 Tbs. of flour that I added, but the texture is fine, and I can slice it thinly. I may add the two additional 2-3 Tbs. whole wheat flour when I bake it again.

RiversideLen
                Participant

I'm a pumpkin pie snob too, I reduce the sugar a little but the main thing is the seasonings. Pumpkin pie spice has no place in my home, I only use 1 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and a tsp of vanilla extract.

Italiancook
                  Participant

I've never engaged in pies, but somewhere online I recently saw a crustless pumpkin pie. That's an idea I could buy into if my sister still has our mother's pumpkin pie recipe. I'd need to make it in a cake pan, because I gave away my one and only pie pan at the beginning of this century.

I baked Allrecipe's "Irresistible Irish Soda Bread." My husband used it for breakfast toast. I made chicken salad and had a sandwich on it. My husband thinks it's perfect. My taste buds say it's too sweet. I'm going to reduce the sugar to 1/4 cup next time. Having said that, I must add that the first time I made this, I gave it to friends (pre-pandemic). They think it's delicious just the way it is.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

I baked a new KABC recipe on Saturday: “Spiced Rye Ginger Cookies.” I used the Zeroll #40 scoop, and the recipe made 24 cookies. Next time, I would drop the dough from the scoop directly into the sugar before putting it on the parchment-lined sheet, as I had to use a scraper to get them up to then roll in the sugar. I baked the cookies on the third rack up for 14 minutes, one sheet at a time, turning the sheet around halfway.

These cookies use 1/2 cup of oil--no butter, so I was pleased to find the recipe in one of KABC's emails. Medium rye flour has some health benefits, although it is not a whole grain.

They smell delicious, but I will let them rest overnight so that the flavors can develop. I look forward to having some tomorrow with afternoon tea.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

My wife make crustless pumpkin pie more often than she makes a pumpkin pie. Basically it's just pumpkin custard.

aaronatthedoublef
                        Participant

I made scones yesterday. Only thing I've baked by myself because I was up early and my helper was still asleep.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

It's great that Violet is so interested in baking, Aaron. The best way to learn baking is by working with a baker. I've often wished that I had someone I could teach.

cwcdesign
                            Participant

BA, Will is actually teaching himself since we communicate and learn so differently from each other - he watches a lot of videos (he's dyslexic), I read a lot of recipes and watch some videos.

He does ask questions and I'm learning how to answer to be helpful, sometimes I'll just remind him to research it if he doesn't like my answer 😁 But, at least he's learning because he wants to. I'm sure he'll become better than me at some point.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Note: Those spiced rye ginger cookies are delicious. The recipe makes a chewy cookie, and the spice is just right. The cardamom blends in--my husband did not notice it, and he is not fond of that spice. The surprise ingredient was 3/4 tsp. black pepper. I ground my own, and I pounded my own cardamom seeds.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.