What are you Cooking the Week of November 29, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of November 29, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Leftovers today.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

I made homemade sloppy Joe we ate open face on bread.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Sunday dinner was leftover turkey, microwaved frozen peas, and Queen squash that I halved and roasted, then filled with cooked red bulgur and baked another ten minutes.

chocomouse
          Participant

We took a break from turkey leftovers and I made spaghetti squash pizza. I made the sausage for it from scratch; it was OK, but I'd like it a bit more spicy. Does anyone have a good recipe for what I would call hot Italian sausage?

BakerAunt
            Participant

I also made a third batch of applesauce on Sunday and froze two containers. There are enough of the seconds apples for a fourth batch.

Italiancook
              Participant

chocomouse, several years ago when Rachel Ray had 30-Minute Meals on Food Network, she often made homemade sausage. I just checked their site for her sausage recipes and can find only one. I don't think it's hot Italian sausage. It's unfortunate that her many sausage recipes have disappeared from the site.

Does anyone know how to obtain a recipe off Americas Test Kitchen without signing up to buy their service after a free trial? I want their Turkey Breast en Cocotte with Pan Gravy recipe but can't find any way to get the recipe without signing up for the free trial which leads to buying a service. Is there a work-around to this?

rottiedogs
                Participant

Not sure what happened to my first reply to this so here's hoping this one sticks. Italiancook - i was able to find three links for this recipe. The first one on the attachment is for an Oregon newspaper article, the second is a blog post. The third is a link with that post to the ATK site. The recipe was not behind a paywall and I was able to access it. I copied and pasted into a word document that I can send you if the links don't work.

Attachments:
                  You must be logged in to view attached files.
                  Italiancook
                  Participant

Thanks, rottiedogs, for your searching effort and the links. The links wouldn't open, but I thought of a do-around around 11 P.M. last night. I watched the ATK video for the recipe on TV. I used the pause and play buttons to write down the recipe by hand. I'm so sorry you spent your time on this but how nice of you. Maybe the link will open for someone else & they can benefit from the recipe.

I have a 6 pound turkey breast in the freezer, and this recipe calls for a 6-7 pounder. So I'm glad to have the recipe. Thanks, rottiedogs, for your help.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Tonight I cooked BBQ chicken in pot on top of stove with BBQ gravy to go over rice and we had creamed corn.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

We had leftover turkey, microwaved fresh broccoli, and a Queen squash, halved, roasted in the oven, then filled with bulgur and roasted a little longer.

Some of our Queen squashes were sweet, and we liked those a lot. However, we have also had some bitter ones. Does anyone know why there might be a difference? While these are getting old (we have one left), we had an older one that was sweet.

RiversideLen
                        Participant

I had a hamburger, fresh green beans and a baked sweet potato.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

Here's some information about bitter squash:

Bitter Squash and Toxic Squash Syndrome

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Thanks, Mike. Maybe I should throw out the last squash.

Hmm--We've eaten two in the past two days. I have one left. I did note that the last two we ate did not have a lot of "sugar" leaking out when roasted.

We did have a hot, dry summer, so it's possible that the squash at the end of the season did not get enough water. They were growing next to tomatoes and bell peppers.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

Toxic squash syndrome is, thankfully, not common, but if the squash doesn't taste good, why eat it?

The article seems to suggest that volunteers and growing edible squash near ornamental squash are where to watch for problems.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

What we ate was not particularly bitter; otherwise they would have been trashed, not eaten. There were three plants, and we are wondering if one particular seed was the issue.

Today I made another batch of yogurt.

I also used the remaining turkey to make a pasta toss, with carrots, celery, green onion, mushrooms, and broccoli. I use the leftover gravy, which did not come out well because the turkey had a great deal of fluid in it, and that's not conducive to good gravy, even when thickened with some Clear Jel. However, it did make a nice sauce for the turkey, vegetables, and rigatoni. It made enough to have another dinner tomorrow.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.