What are you Cooking the week of November 22, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of November 22, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    chocomouse
    Participant

Today I baked the maple candied carrots. I bought a 14 pound turkey to bake tomorrow, wo we'll have plenty left over for sandwiches and soups. We'll also have mashed potatoes, Pepperidge Farm dressing with added celery and onions, buttercup squash, gravy, cranberry sauce, and fruit salad laced with raspberry cordial. Way too much food for 2 people, but meals will be easy for a couple of days.

BakerAunt
      Participant

I'm always amazed at people who don't know what to do with Thanksgiving leftovers. The answer is easy: eat them!

I made another batch of yogurt on Wednesday.

I also made my favorite cranberry sauce, using cranberries, dried cherries, light brown sugar, and cardamom. My husband does not like cranberries, so it is all mine, and I will happily eat it until Christmas--as an accompaniment to some meals, stirred into yogurt, spread on toast.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Cranberry sauce is terrible, dried cranberries aren't bad as a snack or in breads.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

No cooking here today my husband had a pineapple sandwich and I had peanut butter and jam with a glass of milk.

We love the canned cranberry sauce with dressing.I don't like the whole cranberry sauce except in a jello salad.

rottiedogs
            Participant

I'm roasting a 17 lb bird tomorrow with mashed potatoes & gravy, two kinds of stuffing, carrots, broccoli, cranberry sauce and rolls.

I'll be freezing some of the turkey for sure as there will just be the two of us. I scaled down the qty of sides so there will be enough for a few meals and not have to freeze any of them.

17 lbs was the smallest I could get around here. Both the Jewel and the Meijer had the frozen turkeys grouped by weight and all the 10-15 lbs birds were gone at both stores. There were lots of 20-24 lb ones. I'm glad I wasn't forced to get one that large.

BakerAunt
              Participant

My cranberry sauce is not cooked. I used to make an uncooked one with cranberries, sugar, and orange, but once I found this one, it became my favorite. I've also made a very good cooked one from The Frugal Gourmet's American food cookbook.

My husband will roast the 14 lb. turkey tomorrow. I will make the Pepperidge Farm (blue bag!) dressing with broth, celery, and either dried or green onions (in deference to my husband who has trouble with regular onion). We will likely have steamed broccoli as the side, and I will make gravy. I'll have my cranberry-cherry relish, and we will have the Spiced Rye Bread. Dessert is pumpkin pie.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

I baked a 5# turkey breast, dressing out of the freezer, sweet potato souffle with marshmallows on top, cranberry sauce and a store bought Edwards lemon pie.Our neighbor brought over a couple pounds of smoked Boston butt so we had a BBQ sandwich and pie for dessert for supper.Lots of leftovers.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all,after dinner today I went and visited my sister so I enjoyed my day!

skeptic7
                  Participant

I roasted a chicken for Thanksgiving, with rice stuffing. Mushroom giblet gravy, cranberry sauce, and butternut squash with onions and maple syrup. In order to deal with the important part of Thanksgiving first, I started the day by baking and eating individual apple crisp before cooking anything else. I was planning on several other dishes including broccoli, and gingered chickpeas, and pickles but luckily ran out of energy before starting them. As it is I am going to be eating leftovers for days. The idea of baking a full Thanksgiving meal for one overtook my common sense. I was contemplating a turkey but realizes before that idea got fixed into my head that I don't have enough spare freezer space. The extra bags of flour is crowding my freezer.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

We had more BBQ and coleslaw for supper and lemon pie.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

The only thing I cooked today was my usual morning oatmeal. Ah, how I love having leftover Thanksgiving food!

chocomouse
                        Participant

Me, too, BakerAunt! Except I have Moomie's Bun ready to go in the oven -- fresh buns for turkey sandwiches.

Italiancook
                          Participant

skeptic, I think you made the right choice between turkey and flour for the freezer! I would have done the same thing.

Italiancook
                            Participant

Len, you've posted a few times about making mushroom gravy. How do you do that? Is it the same as making giblet gravy only with mushrooms? I can see where gravy would be "healthy" if it had mushrooms in it.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

Only cooking here today is hotdogs and fries.

cwcdesign
                                Participant

Early in the week, I made a penne pasta with asparagus and lemon sauce - we had it for a couple of days. Work was crazy with long hours. We had 100 orders for take n bake Thanksgiving dinners - we were all glad when Wednesday was over. It was nice to be able to spend Thursday hanging out, resting and reading. I made scalloped potatoes, Pepperidge Farm (blue) “dressing,” and roasted the little Butterball breast on a bed of vegetables. I made turkey gravy from a Knorr packet I had on hand using chicken stock cuz there were no juices from the turkey - it was surprisingly good. Will made the green beans and we had canned cranberry sauce - we’re from the land of Ocean Spray. Then we had Will’s pumpkin pie for dessert.
                                  Turkey sandwiches for dinner last night, tonight and probably tomorrow as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.