What are You Baking the Week of November 15, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of November 15, 2020?

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    RiversideLen
    Participant

Italiancook, I have a dough bucket from KAF. It's sturdy. I imagine if you wash it in the dishwasher the marking would wash off but otherwise I don't see a problem with it. Although I'm a big fan of the dishwasher, I wash mine by hand.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

As long as you only use it to rise dough, I would think hand-washing it would be quicker and sufficient.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Yes, it is sturdy. I lightly oil the dough bucket before I put the dough in it to rise. The dough comes out cleanly--at least so far--even with a higher hydration dough. To wash it, I usually put a bit of dish soap in it, then rub it around to cut the grease before adding warm water and washing it. Hand washing is fast.

BakerAunt
          Participant

On Wednesday, I baked Pumpkin Ginger Braid, a King Arthur recipe, using my own homemade pumpkin puree. I replaced 3 cups of the bread flour with whole wheat and increased the bread flour to 3 cups, which is needed since my pumpkin has more liquid than canned pumpkin. I increased the ginger, as I thought it did not have enough last time I baked it, from 1/3 to ½ cup and rehydrated it with a Tbs. of water in the microwave (then left covered). I added 1/3 cup milk powder (BRM) and ¼ cup flax meal to increase nutrition and replaced the 4 Tbs. butter with 4 Tbs. canola oil. I used golden raisins.

I was able to mix and knead it in the bread machine. It rose in a little over an hour in the dough bucket. I have the King Arthur mat with the braiding directions, so I was able to braid it on the first try, although I still need to work on where I join the pieces at the top. I let the second rise go for an hour. I brushed the loaf with beaten egg left over from when I baked crispbread, although I added 1 tsp. water. I baked on the second rack for 30 minutes, but it needed an additional 8 minutes to reach 190F. I covered it with foil for the last eight minutes, as it was overbrowning. Next time, I will cover it a little sooner.

The loaf was a little overdone on the bottom, not bad, but not desirable. I might use a double cookie sheet next time (this is my heavy one) or perhaps the third rack for baking. Another option might be to reduce the oven temperature. The flavor is excellent.

Italiancook
            Participant

I have unpacked my 2 qt. dough bucket. Because of Covid and because of packing and shipping, I put it in the dishwasher. I want to try to get rid of all germs before I use it. I put all kitchen products except food into the dishwasher when they arrive. I'm hoping the line markings won't disappear. For that reason, I'll be washing it by hand after this.

I can see that the bucket will help out a lot in terms of refrig space. Now, when I have dough for the refrig, I put it in a large bowl that takes up 3/4 of the shelf. Also, my husband has a bowl that he likes to use for popcorn, but I won't let him. It's my bread-making bowl, and I don't want to take any chances that it'll get broken. Now, he can have popcorn and I can use the dough bucket for bread. But I think the first thing I'm going to use it for is pizza dough for a 3 day rise in the refrig.

Does anyone have an opinion scientific or otherwise: I'm thinking the dough will be warmer in the plastic dough bucket and rise faster than in a glass bowl, which I think of as cold. What do you think or know?

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Personally, I think glass feels cooler, and it will have a larger thermal mass than a plastic bucket, which will slow down temperature rises, but for the most part heat isn't being generated when dough is rising.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I've not had any issues with rising time using the dough bucket.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I'm making Semolina bread today.

skeptic7
                    Participant

I did a Cornmeal Herb Focaccio on Wednesday. This is the same recipe that I did last year for Thanksgiving. It has 1 cup cornmeal and 3 cups All Purpose Flour. There is 1 tsp of Rosemary, 2 tsp sage and 1/2 tsp thyme. It came out very well, light and airy. I feel a little bad that I couldn't make this out of whole wheat flour, but when I tried with whole wheat flour three years ago it was very heavy and flat.

chocomouse
                      Participant

I made bagels, but they didn't come out so good. I knew the dough seemed wetter than usual, and added a couple teaspoons of flour, but that didn't help much. They ended up being very light, and almost soft, not dense and chewy. I didn't think the humidity was that high today to make such a difference, I guess I must have measured wrong. They are still better than no bagels at all!

Italiancook
                        Participant

I have a small kitchen, so my workspace is limited. This dough bucket is a small kitchen's helper. It doesn't take up as much room in my fridge as my bread-rising bowl. It also leaves room on my countertop when rising at room temp as compared to the bread-rising bowl. So I'm sold on this product even though I've only used it for pizza dough. So sold I'm going to buy another also in the 2 quart size. I had considered buying the two at the discounted price, but I couldn't imagine why I'd need two. Now I know. I have pizza dough in it in the fridge until Monday. I need a second one to make cinnamon roll dough. I can't say I want it to measure the rise, although that will be nice. Mainly, I want it to save space on my countertop. I'm thinking about the 4 quart dough bucket, but since I don't know where to buy one that's advertised BPA-free, I'm saved from the temptation!

RiversideLen
                          Participant

On Thursday I made a batch of sandwich buns. On Friday I made a pumpkin pie and on Saturday corn bread from a box mix (Whole Foods 365 brand, not bad).

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.