Wed. Sep 30th, 2026

RiversideLen

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 931 through 945 (of 2,650 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of October 9, 2022? #36816
    RiversideLen
    Participant

      I'll be making a double cheeseburger (provolone) tonight (2.5 ounce patties, each), and I have a big salad made up. A medium baked potato will round it out.

      in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of October 2, 2022? #36703
      RiversideLen
      Participant

        Made a boneless pork chop, had it with Brussels sprouts, carrots and pasta.

        in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of October 2, 2022? #36696
        RiversideLen
        Participant

          Those chocolatines look real good to me, Mike, make mine a double!

          This afternoon I made Healthy Oatmeal cookies from the Martha Stewart site. The recipe doesn't call for any spices other than vanilla extract, but brown sugar, oats and raisins just beg for cinnamon at the very least. So I added cinnamon, a little allspice and nutmeg. I also soaked the raisins in a splash of rum. I also added some chopped pecans. They came out great.

          in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of October 2, 2022? #36679
          RiversideLen
          Participant

            On Sunday I cooked a salmon filet in a cast iron skillet on the BBQ grill, I added some applewood for smoke. It came out real good, I should have bought more salmon. Had the leftover for today's lunch.

            Tonight I will be having a leftover pork chop from the freezer, a salad and maybe a little pasta.

            in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of September 18, 2022? #36531
            RiversideLen
            Participant

              I had pork chops, brown rice and kale.

              in reply to: BBGA BreadLines steam article #36508
              RiversideLen
              Participant

                Good going, Mike!

                in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of September 18, 2022? #36493
                RiversideLen
                Participant

                  That looks good, Mike, bring it over, I have vanilla ice cream and whipped cream.

                  in reply to: 2022 Garden Plans #36440
                  RiversideLen
                  Participant

                    My small Mountain Magic tomatoes are finished. I do have some in the freezer. Now my beefsteaks are starting to ripen. They are huge! Talk about good timing.

                    beefsteak

                    Attachments:
                    You must be logged in to view attached files.
                    in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of September 11, 2022? #36427
                    RiversideLen
                    Participant

                      I found some meatballs in the freezer so I had spaghetti and meatballs.

                      in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of September 11, 2022? #36419
                      RiversideLen
                      Participant

                        Today I made a batch of Healthy Oatmeal Cookies from Martha Stewart. It's a small recipe (maybe that's part of what makes them healthy) that uses oil instead of butter or shortening. I used fruitcake fruit blend from KAB as I have some that needs to be used up and added some coconut flakes. They came out pretty good.

                        I got 18 cookies out of it.

                        oat-cookie

                        Attachments:
                        You must be logged in to view attached files.
                        in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of September 4, 2022? #36414
                        RiversideLen
                        Participant

                          The old RecipeZaar had multiple forums, including one for kosher cooking. In reading some of those posts I came to realize just how complicated the subject is.

                          in reply to: 2022 Garden Plans #36370
                          RiversideLen
                          Participant

                            That happened more than 10 years ago. I was watering the garden and I saw the rabbit move close to the tomato. I didn't think too much of it, I never chase them away. Then his nose started to wiggle and then he was on the tomato. Well, once bit, he owns it. I realized this was a Kodak Moment. I put my hose down and slowly moved away as not to startle it. Went into the house, got the camera, changed the lens to the longest one I had, went back out and luckily he was still there. So I started taking pictures, slowly getting closer. When I got too close, he took off.

                            Sacrificing the tomato for the pic was worth it.

                            wabbbit‑1

                            Attachments:
                            You must be logged in to view attached files.
                            in reply to: 2022 Garden Plans #36358
                            RiversideLen
                            Participant

                              Skeptic, if I'm going to ripen tomatoes outside, I leave them on the vine. If I want to pull them off to protect them from insect/critter damage, I take them inside to finish ripening. Once off the vine, I don't think they need additional sunlight.

                              I've had this happen to me too. That was some years ago but was the first ripening tomato of the year.

                              wabbit‑2

                              Attachments:
                              You must be logged in to view attached files.
                              in reply to: Piperade as a pizza sauce? #36344
                              RiversideLen
                              Participant

                                I have had problems with blossom end rot in previous years, but hardly any last year and none at all this year. One thing I have also done in the past couple of years is to save egg shells, run them through the blender until they are a powder, and mix that in with the soil when planting. I cook the shells first as I do not want to add any harmful bacteria. I've added a tablespoon or so of Epsom salts to the soil a couple times during the growing season. I have had zero blossom end rot so far. My Mountain Magic tomatoes have been perfect. My beefsteaks are still green, but should start ripening soon, so I'll see. My peppers have been great. Some years ago it was actually a farmer at the farmers market who suggested that I should add a little Epsom salts to the peppers.

                                in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of September 4, 2022? #36342
                                RiversideLen
                                Participant

                                  I had pizza and a large salad.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 931 through 945 (of 2,650 total)