What are you Cooking the Week of December 11, 2022?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of December 11, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Any holiday-themed cooking going on?

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I made my regular batch of yogurt on Sunday.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

We're having potato-leek soup out of the freezer tonight, and probably salad.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Cool and drizzle rainy day here so we had grilled ham and cheese sandwich and bean soup.

navlys
            Participant

I had top round steak in freezer and no energy.....so I pulled out the crockpot, stuck the frozen steak in it and proceeded to throw everything within reach into the pot. I served the blah beef with garlic mashed potatoes. Motto: "you get out of it what you put into it".

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Tonight we have a chicken breast that I made BBQ chicken in the pot with BBQ gravy to go over rice and cooked carrots.

cwcdesign
                Participant

Navlys, sounds familiar 🤣

Last night I made tortellini soup which I haven't made in several years. I'd forgotten how good it is and we have it for at least tonight and we may put one quart in the freezer.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

For dinner on Monday, I roasted a small (3.17 lb.) chicken. I also roasted a honey nut squash from the farmers' market (we ate all of the ones from our garden). We had microwaved fresh broccoli, some of the last from the farmers' market. That broccoli was so good that it will be hard to go back to the store broccoli, which is shipped from California, no matter what time of the year.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

We had macaroni and cheese tonight, simple, fast and warm.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

We had fried cubed pork,lima beans and potato salad.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

I made broth on Tuesday from the chicken bones. For dinner, I roasted one of the aberrant squashes that came from one of the seeds in the honey nut squash package. It was like a butternut squash except that it had a very long neck. It is not as sweet as the honey nut. I think that I need to roast it longer or at a higher temperature. We had it with leftover chicken and microwaved frozen peas.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

We had ham steak with pineapple and some steamed broccoli tonight.

Friday is Diane's birthday and I'm planning veal Marsala. Finding veal was a real challenge, though. (Wrong time of year, probably, though it is getting hard to find in general.)

I'm also making a large batch of chocolatines for her Alexander class's Christmas party on Friday. I'll mix up the detrempte tomorrow and do the lamination on Thursday, that way all I have to do Friday morning is final roll-out, cut the dough into rectangles, roll them up with the chocolate sticks inside, let them rise for around 90 minutes and then bake them. They should still be slightly warm when we take them to the party.

I'll probably make another chocolate cream pie for dessert on Diane's birthday, too, but this time in a standard butter crust rather than the chocolate pate sucree I used last time. She though the meringue was over-beaten, I think it was because I used a 2-1 sugar to egg white ratio as that is supposed to prevent weeping. It also makes the meringue stiffer and not as light, so I'll drop back to 1-1 this time.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

We have had a rainy, windy Wednesday, which I mostly spent in the kitchen. I roasted a butternut squash for puree for a baking recipe. For dinner, I made beef stew with carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, red bell pepper, dehydrated onion, garlic, and peas, as well as other seasonings. I used ground oats as the thickener. It was perfect for today, and there are leftovers for at least two more meals.

RiversideLen
                              Participant

I made a stir fry tonight consisting of carrots, celery, onion, mushrooms, broccoli, chicken, seasoned with garlic, ginger, sesame seed oil and soy sauce. Had it with brown rice.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

I made a pot of vegetable beef soup with fresh pimento cheese sandwiches my husbands request and he ate real good -two bowls of soup and two sandwiches.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.