Use it Up!

Home Forums Baking — Other Limitations Use it Up!

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I remembered that I have some millet flour in my freezer. I bought it for a King Arthur recipe for scones, which I made and found underwhelming, and so it sat in the freezer until today, when I decided to try a new bread recipe that called for about 2/3 cup. If we like the recipe, then I will be able to "use it up!"

BakerAunt
      Participant

For some reason, I had a large bag of natural cocoa. The biscotti recipe that I baked today called for it, so that is another dent in the "use it up" stockpile.

chocomouse
        Participant

I've temporarily given up on "Use It Up". We've had an unexpected death in the immediate family, 45 year old brother in law, that has put our schedule of family gatherings up in the air. Now, I'm just hoping to make a couple of meals and a few cookies. I'll refocus in the new year.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Oh, I'm terribly sorry to hear that, I hope it doesn't totally ruin the holidays.

cwcdesign
            Participant

I'm sorry for your loss, chocomouse. It's hard, especially around the holidays.
              I wish your whole family peace.

BakerAunt
              Participant

I am so sorry for you and the family, Chocomouse. At times like these, we focus on what is needed.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Chocomouse so sorry for your loss of the brother in law, prayers for your family.

RiversideLen
                  Participant

I'm so sorry for your loss, Chocomouse, I too have lost loved ones around the holidays and I know how trying it is.

skeptic7
                    Participant

I am sorry for your loss. 45 seems young to die.

navlys
                      Participant

A loss of a loved one's life is always tough but it seems especially so around the holidays.
                        Wishing you strength.

cwcdesign
                        Participant

I just used up the last of my sparkling sugar coating my third batch of Bourbon Balls - the cookie crumbs are also used up. The best by date on the sugar (from KAF) was 2015 - but it's sugar and no one has gotten sick from either of the last two batches - a little tipsy maybe.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

I think that the non-melting sugar I used on my Pfeffernusse was 2019, and it was fine. My sparkling sugar is probably as old as yours, but I bought it in a bag, then moved it to two empty sparkling sugar containers I had saved, so I have no idea how old it is, only that it works! We shall see if the pearl sugar, which is at least six years old works when I try it on a recipe this weekend.

The rum balls sound delicious.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.