What are you Cooking the Week of December 18, 2022?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of December 18, 2022?

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

We spent most of Thursday morning preparing for the predicted "Snowpocolyse," which started in our area shortly after 4 p.m. So far, we have ice pellets and light snow, which is reducing visibility. Among the chores, such as bringing in more wood for the woodstove and s couple of buckets of water, just in case we lose power, we took all the apples out of the garage. It is heated, but we wanted to protect them, so I stowed them in our Annex. In doing so, I noticed that one of the Ida Red seconds had gone bad and another was half gone. I decided that I needed to use them up and I was glad that I did, as I found another bad one. I had about 9 ½ lbs., so I used two pots to cook them, then my food mill to make applesauce. I got three quarts, and about 1/3 of a cup for my husband to sample. I managed to cram them into the freezer. I had hoped to hold off on the remaining applesauce until after Christmas, when we will pull out the turkey we plan to roast for New Year's Day, thereby resulting in more freezer space.

I hope we all stay warm, and all keep our power, Chocomouse.

Joan Simpson
      Participant

We had venison cubed steak cooked with onion gravy,rice and stewed squash.

We'll be getting some very cold weather in a few days not looking forward to that.Bless all of you that live where it gets so cold with ice and snow and such low temps.Brrr.

RiversideLen
        Participant

I made some pasta meat sauce yesterday so last night and tonight is spaghetti. I put in some chopped up celery, onion and carrot in the sauce. I was thinking it would be good with some eggplant and zucchini but I didn't have any.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

We only got an inch and a half of snow when they were forecasting up to 6, but we did get the promised double-digit sub-zero temperatures, and the high today was around -5.

Supposed to be a little warmer heading into Christmas, but possibly an ice storm Sunday evening.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

We're going to do the traditional Christmas Eve oyster stew and chili, but Christmas dinner will be steaks, mushrooms, hash brown casserole, Brussels sprouts, DGBC and trifle for dessert.

cwcdesign
              Participant

It's supposed to get down to the 20's here starting tonight. Since it's just Will and me, we're going to do charcuterie Christmas Eve and a small tenderloin with bernaise, mashed potatoes and green beans. We're picking up some stuff after work and I'm also going to get salad stuff for whenever. We're closed both Sunday and Monday.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Enjoy your free time, CWCdesign.

I made yogurt on Friday. We had leftover pizza for dinner because I forgot to thaw the salmon. I moved it to the refrigerator tonight after dinner, so it will be ready for tomorrow.

chocomouse
                  Participant

We had BLTs for dinner, with lettuce from under the Gro lights. The hot house tomatoes were just OK, as expected, except the center cores were hard as a rock!

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

We had taco salad.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

Today I've made a cherry pie, a triple batch of pastry cream (for assembling a trifle for tomorrow), and have a big pot of chili on the stove for supper, which will also include oyster stew.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Christmas Eve dinner was Salmon and Couscous with Greek Seasoning and microwaved frozen peas. For dessert, we had an array of cookies and little cakes from which to choose.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

We had leftover venison in gravy over mashed potatoes ,baked beans and squash.Lemon Supreme pound cake for dessert.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.