What are you Cooking the Week of December 18, 2022?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of December 18, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Christmas is only a week away.

I'm thinking I may make some candies ahead of Christmas.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Sigh. I miss making my caramels.

On Saturday, I found a package of six chicken thighs on sale for 99 cents per pound, so for Sunday dinner, we had roasted chicken thighs. I cooked some farro in the remaining chicken broth from last week, then mixed it with sauteed celery, colorful carrots, and mushrooms, along with a bit of sage and thyme. We had microwaved broccoli as well. The carrots are the young ones, in a rainbow of colors, that I bought at the farmers' market last week. At $5 a bunch, they are bit pricy, but oh, so good.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

We had some leftovers with salad and our granddaughter had an egg-on-toast.

And we finished off the chocolate cream pie.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I tried making a batch of sponge candy and it didn't come out quite right, it sort of collapsed as it cooled and that means it isn't very spongy, not sure exactly what I did wrong, but I'm going to try another batch later this afternoon. I've got a new candy thermometer, the probe on my old one died, and I'm not fond of the pot clip that comes with this one, it sort of wiggles on the side of the pot, so I'm going to play around with finding a way to hold it in place more firmly. I think the old pot clip may work with this probe, I think they're the same diameter.

I've got milk chocolate melting and will temper it when the sponge candy is ready to be enrobed.

RiversideLen
            Participant

I had my brother over yesterday and made a beef rib roast. Tonight I'll be making a stir fry with some of the leftovers.

cwcdesign
              Participant

I made a batch of Cilantro Lime Chicken Taco filling in the slow cooker, so guess what we're having for the next few nights.

BakerAunt
                Participant

For lunch on Monday, and for the next two days, I made Lentils with turnip greens and tomatoes with Hatch chilis. I cooked 2/3 cup mostly brown, and a few red lentils in 2 cups of turkey broth for 30 minutes, while I sauteed onion and celery, then the turnip greens, and onion in another pan in olive oil. I added the garlic, then a can of tomatoes with Hatch chilis, Penzey's Arizona blend, and a bit of chili powder, pepper, ½ tsp. sugar, and ½ tsp. cider vinegar. I added the cooked lentils and simmered briefly. I am working to incorporate more beans and pulses into my diet to see if that helps my cholesterol numbers. I have had to start taking a statin, but I want it to be a low dose. Having beans and pulses as part of my lunch a couple of times a week allows me to do so, since my husband's digestive system cannot tolerate most beans.

On Monday afternoon, I made a chunky tomato sauce using the rest of the tomatoes that were picked green and have turned red on the enclosed porch. I also had some green peppers that were picked before the freeze, and some of them were trying hard to turn red even though off the plant. I sauteed the green pepper with the onion in olive oil, added the garlic, then the tomatoes and cooked until the tomatoes were broken down. I added some rosemary, oregano, and basil, a bit too much Worcestershire sauce (oops), some sugar, and tomato paste from a tube. It is tasty. I will freeze it for future lunches for me.

Leftovers are great, CWCdesign. We had the rest of the beef stew tonight, and I have leftovers from last night for the next two nights.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Last night we had spaghetti and meat sauce from the freezer with garlic toast.Tonight we had fried cubed pork, a baked potato and green beans.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

We wound up making spaghetti for dinner tonight.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I made applesauce on Tuesday from some of the Ida Red seconds we got at the orchard in November. I froze a container and put the rest in a bowl in advance of Christmas dinner.

I also roasted two pie pumpkins. I will set aside enough for my Christmas dinner pie, freeze enough for another pie, and then freeze or use the rest of the puree. I do not have a lot of freezer space at the moment, but once we start thawing the turkey for New Year's Day dinner, I will have a lot more and can finish processing the other pumpkins.

Dinner tonight was leftover chicken and leftover farro with vegetables from Sunday night.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

We had chargrilled chicken breast, rice and black eyed peas.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

We wound up doing a combination of lavash pizza and takeout from Valentinos Pizza.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Tonight we had bean soup with leftover lima beans and pimento cheese sandwich.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

We finished the last of the roasted chicken thighs. To go with it, I cooked bulgur in broth, then mixed in microwaved frozen peas and carrots.

chocomouse
                                Participant

Today I made broccoli soup, using broccoli frozen from last summer's garden. We'll have it tonight along with onion-wild rice rolls that I made the other day.

We're going to get another big storm tonight through Friday (thanks for sending that on to us, BakerAunt!) Rain, sleet and freezing rain, snow, but most worrisome are high winds, with gusts around 60 mph. We were without power much of last weekend, and not looking forward to more of that. We do have out of state and Canadian electric company trucks coming into the area already; they were a tremendous help last weekend.

I'm not sure what will happen to our family Christmas gathering planned for Saturday evening. My son does have solar power and a back-up battery system, so we could prepare all the food there, but that means more traveling for some people. We could gather next week!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.