National Cornstarch Shortage?

Home Forums General Discussions National Cornstarch Shortage?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

When I was at Kroger today, I saw a sign in the baking aisle about a national cornstarch shortage, with suggestions of other ingredients that could be substituted for it. I did see some cornstarch on the shelf. Has anyone heard of such a shortage or how it developed?

I am not in need of cornstarch since I accidentally bought a second one, perhaps a year ago, that is not yet opened. It is not an ingredient that I use a lot.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I can't say I've noticed a shortage of cornstarch, but I buy it in big containers at Sams Club and haven't needed to buy one lately.

I see a lot of open spots on shelves throughout the grocery store, though. I was at one store today that had NO granulated sugar on the shelf except for a couple of 10 pound bags, at $7.99.

And although the government says retail prices moderated in the last month (as if we can trust anything the government tells us), egg prices are out of sight. 2-3 weeks I bought some at Aldi for $2.19/dozen, but it took me two trips, the first time they were totally out of eggs, this past weekend they were $3.48/dozen, and I saw an article online that said the WHOLESALE price of eggs in the midwest is now over $4.50/dozen.

See https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/pybshellegg.pdf

Broccoli prices have soared, too, Hy-Vee had it for about $4.50/bunch the other day.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I also noted higher egg prices at Aldi's today. I think that I paid $3.34 per dozen. Chicken prices are higher as well.

I did not notice a shortage of products at Aldi's, Walmart, or Kroger today, except that Kroger had an excellent price on King Arthur AP flour, which is probably why there was none left on the shelf. That has happened before, so I think it is a stocking issue.

I was hoping to order some almond paste from King Arthur, but they do not carry it anymore.

chocomouse
          Participant

I've been paying 3.99 for a dozen large eggs for about 6 months now, but 2 weeks ago the price was up to 4.49. I noted that there were some low supplies or empty shelves then, also. King Arthur flour was on sale for 2.50 for 5 pounds (just a couple of the basic flours) so most of that section was empty. Chicken was 1.49 (that is not a typo!) on sale for boneless breasts and thighs; it's usually over 3.00 per pound, so I bought several packages. This is at a small, northeast only, chain store. I'm going to do my biweekly shopping trip today, I do not want to see my total.

chocomouse
            Participant

Large white eggs this morning were 4.89 a dozen! Yikes. Eggs used to be a fairly good source of inexpensive protein. The KAF flour and small section of mixes was mostly empty, partly because the flour was on sale. The mixes are cheaper in the grocery stores than at the KAF retail store which is 25 miles down the road.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Egg prices here were in the $2.50 range for the longest time. As more places in Indiana are hit with bird flu cases, the prices have increased.

RiversideLen
                Participant

I paid $4.89 today for a dozen of organic omega 3 eggs from Amazon. I checked my order history, in May of this year I paid $4.79 for the same eggs. A small increase.

The lowest price I could find on Amazon Fresh for eggs is $2.99 for a dozen of cage free, large white.

skeptic7
                  Participant

The cheapest I've seen a dozen eggs is $2.09 in Kentucky, in Virginia it was $2.99; at a different store in Virginia it was $3.99. I'm not sure how high the prices would go for eggs if I started looking at other stores in Kentucky. The organic, brown or cage free eggs are even higher priced.
                    Kroger here was having a Thanksgiving/Christmas sale on baking items. KAF was one of them.

chocomouse
                    Participant

Eggs today were 5.49/dozen! These are store-brand, not organic, not free range. Plain old large white eggs.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

They are running around $4.25 here.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Eggs were $4.98/dozen at the store today.

chocomouse
                          Participant

Still $5.59 here this morning.

RiversideLen
                            Participant

Today I paid $4.49 for a dozen of organic omega 3 eggs from Whole Foods.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

When I was at Sams Club yesterday they had plenty of cornstarch, they also had Black Diamond Cheese spread, which they haven't had for over a year.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

Aldi's had frozen Butterball turkeys for 49 cents per pound today. Although our freezers are pretty full--and we have a turkey thawing in the refrigerator that we bought for $1.07 per pound at the local grocery--we bought it, and I made room for it in the Annex's freezer section. As I had to remove some frozen broth to do so, there will be soup made this weekend.

Aldi's had eggs for $3.69 per dozen. I was relieved that the price was not higher.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.