Use it Up!

Home Forums Baking — Other Limitations Use it Up!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    chocomouse
    Participant

Do you have a stash of ingredients you bought for a certain recipe, but have used only once? Or maybe even not used at all. Let's talk about those ingredients and share ideas or ask for suggestions to Use it Up. I've made a list of ingredients taking up space in my pantry, and I'm searching for recipes that include them. I have a nearly full bag of pecan meal and have found a recipe on KABC, "VT Maple Swirl Bread" to use it and also some of my bag of Almond Flour. I also plan to use pecan meal in several crusts for pies/tarts for Thanksgiving dinner. I'd really like to find recipes with High Gluten Flour -- anyone have suggestions?

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

My former next door neighbor (he runs the Sysco office here) used to say that high gluten flour they sold was used mainly for pizza and bagels.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I used to get pecan meal from King Arthur before they stopped selling it. I liked to use it in the Oatmeal Cinamon Chip scones that I made back when butter was not an issue. I also used it to make a crumb crust for pumpkin bars.

I was recently reading about almond flour. P.J. blogged about it. She explained how to use it in non-yeast and in yeast recipes. I'm thinking of trying to make a vegan sweet roll, since my husband's brother is vegan and was disappointed at the last family reunion that my sweet rolls were not. I've found a recipe, but like a lot of vegan recipes, it is not that nutritious, and if I'm going to experiment, I need it to fit my nutritional needs, as I will be eating the experiment in order to evaluate it. P.J. said that for yeast breads, add 1/3 cup almond flour per cup of regular flour. (Don't use instead.) I'm planning to try that, since the almond flour will add nutrition.

chocomouse
          Participant

Mike, I've used the high gluten in both pizza and bagels. I think that's why I bought it, but I have been forgetting to use it.

BakerAunt, I'm pretty sure pecan meal would be good in any scone, muffin, cookie, cake, in place of whole pecans. Oatmeal Cinnamon Chip scones with pecan meal sound delicious. I did find a pie crust recipe for it.

I'll look for PJ's blog about almond flour; interesting, the coconut flour seems to be rather complicated for subbing in place of all purpose, and I need to do a lot more reading about it before I try it. I was thinking the almond flour might be more simple, and hoping for something in addition to macrons.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Chocomouse: Here's the link to P.J.'s blog discusssion:

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/blog/2017/03/20/baking-with-almond-flour

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I actually prefer a lower gluten flour for pizza, but we prefer thin-crust pizza. The ones I was making on the grill this summer were pretty good, I may try that King Arthur recipe indoors over the winter, possibly in a cast iron skillet.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I'm looking at a recipe for "Apple Cider Oatmeal Bread," from King Arthur that specifies high-gluten flour. I do not have any. If we lived close together, we could swap out ingredients!

I may try that recipe with a mixture of the Bob's Red Mill Artisan Bread Flour (my go-to for bread flour) and some whole wheat flour. I have plenty of Winesaps now, as we went to our favorite orchard today. I bought a half bushel. We also got a half bushel of Ever Crisp, my husband's favorite eating apple, and a half bushel of Ida-Red Seconds. Most of the latter are slated for applesauce, although I might try some apple butter.

chocomouse
                  Participant

BakerAunt, I saw that recipe when I searched for high gluten flour. After reading a lot of comments about that flour, I think any bread flour or artisan flour, and even KAF AP (which has a higher gluten content than many/most AP flours) would probably work fine.

My most interesting discovery when looking for high gluten flour recipes is the recommendation to use it specifically to get a higher rise in any bread, and especially with rye.

Mike, we prefer thick pizza crust, but when we cook them on the grill, I do make a thin crust, and just place it directly on the grill. I love all my cast iron, and the Lodge cast iron pizza pan makes superb pizza crust! Unfortunately, the pan is too big to fit in my Breville, and my oven is not very reliable.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

A lot of whole wheat recipes call for adding extra gluten.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Chocomouse--I recall that I also used pecan meal in the cinnamon chip biscotti recipe that King Arthur had some years ago. I found it easier than trying to slice the logs with pecan pieces.

chocomouse
                        Participant

I was thinking that I could probably use the pecan meal in any muffin or scone that calls for pecan or walnuts. For example, maple pecan scones. I would just need to adjust the amount of liquid.

Right now I have the KABC Mostly Apples Apple Cake in the oven. It calls for almond flour, on my use-it-up list. I also used maple sugar instead of brown.

The Apple Cider Oatmeal Bread looks interesting, but I don't have any boiled cider. I'll need to beg a couple of liters of my husband's newly made cider and boil it down.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

With nut meals, they can go rancid in storage, so you need to check them before you try to use them.

chocomouse
                            Participant

I store all nuts, including pecan meal. in the freezer. But I guess I should check the meal before I use it. Thanks, Mike.

navlys
                              Participant

I have expresso powder, cinnamon powder, lemon powder, semolina with which I hope to make Mike's bread and almond flour, cheese powder and cocoa powder. When I see "free shipping" or "20%" off I go crazy.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

I also love offers for a percentage off on products. That is partly why I still have a good supply of cinnamon chips in the refrigerator, and King Arthur has not sold them for at least five years. (They still taste great.) I go through cheese powder quickly, due to my husband's fondness for my cheese crackers. I still have some lime powder, which I have perhaps used twice. I am working my way through cocoa powder. For some reason, I appear to have a lot of the natural cocoa powder.

What I miss about King Arthur is that they used to have a lot of "little" sale items that did not cost a lot that could be thrown into the cart to make the shipping or the sales requirement. KA even had a special feature that would show them to you. That is long gone, along with such items.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.