Thu. Oct 1st, 2026

RiversideLen

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 721 through 735 (of 2,650 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of December 10, 2023? #41280
    RiversideLen
    Participant

      I'll have to give that vermouth idea a try sometime.

      I made the base for my gravy a few days ahead of time, a pretty thick paste in which I used the turkey broth that I froze. When I was roasting the turkey breast, I had it sitting on a stalk of celery, carrot and a half of an onion. Then I added enough no sodium boxed chicken broth to just cover the pan, added a little to it a couple of times to keep the pan from drying out (so there really wasn't anything to deglaze). When the breast was done I had nice browned pan drippings that I used to thin out the very thick gravy I had previously made. This two step process really made the gravy making easy and kept me on schedule (on Thanksgiving I ended up being an hour and half behind schedule).

      I agree with you about Alton Brown and the myriad of TV chefs. I always thought Emerald was the worse offender in oversalting, throwing in a handful of salt with just about every ingredient he would add to a dish.

      in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of December 10, 2023? #41277
      RiversideLen
      Participant

        I had my brother over and made a turkey breast, gravy, couscous and broccoli.

        I used turkey stock that I made last week in the gravy along with pan drippings from the breast. It was delicious.

        in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of December 3, 2023? #41243
        RiversideLen
        Participant

          I had a NY strip steak with pasta and broccoli.

          Earlier today I made stock from some of my Thanksgiving turkey bones. I needed up with about 5 cups of stock. I still have more bones in the freezer.

          in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of December 3, 2023? #41237
          RiversideLen
          Participant

            I'm going to have chicken meatballs with pasta, roasted mushrooms and brocoli.

            in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of December 3, 2023? #41226
            RiversideLen
            Participant

              My open container of SAF Gold is just about done so I went rummaging through my chest freezer and came up with a pound that has an expiration date of June 2022. I figure it should be good so I opened it and used a 1/4 teaspoon to make a pizza yesterday (just one pizza, 160 grams of flour). As I expected, the yeast is fine (SAF Gold is a trooper!).

              I changed up my dough recipe a little, I normally use equal amounts of AP, Whole Wheat, Semolina and sometimes Rye. Yesterday I used 50% Semolina, 25% each of Rye and Whole Wheat. It came out great although I noticed a little more of the whole wheat flavor than normal. I formed the crust by hand, very easy, and toppings were sliced chicken meatballs and mushrooms. I sliced fresh mushrooms and roasted them until the liquid they gave up was all gone. The result was golden brown with a very nice flavor.

              in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of December 3, 2023? #41216
              RiversideLen
              Participant

                Joan, all that Texas food sounds wonderful! I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.

                I made some chicken meatballs today and froze some of them. For dinner I had a chicken meatball sandwich and peas.

                in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of November 26, 2023? #41206
                RiversideLen
                Participant

                  I would have made an egg white omelet with the extra whites. I often have some chopped bell pepper and chopped ham in the freezer and usually have some cheese in the fridge. Turn that into an omelet with some toast makes a tasty breakfast or lunch.

                  in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of November 26, 2023? #41205
                  RiversideLen
                  Participant

                    I made a boneless pork chop, had it with some pasta and red cabbage. I cooked the cabbage in a little chicken broth and then lightly thickened the broth with corn starch and used that as a sauce for the pasta. A head of cabbage really gives a lot of servings, but tonight was the last of it (except for a little leftover for tomorrows lunch).

                    in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of November 26, 2023? #41186
                    RiversideLen
                    Participant

                      All the best to your dog, BA, I know how special pets are.

                      I'm going through my freezer as I have a lot of stuff in there for a couple of years. I thawed out two steaks overnight and cooked them today. So, I had a NY strip with noodles and red cabbage. Will have the other steak tomorrow.

                      in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of November 19, 2023? #41141
                      RiversideLen
                      Participant

                        I made a cheeseburger (smoked cheddar), a baked sweet potato and steamed red cabbage. Followed by a slice of apple pie with ice cream.

                        in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of November 19, 2023? #41134
                        RiversideLen
                        Participant

                          I had turkey, pasta and cauliflower.

                          in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of November 19, 2023? #41122
                          RiversideLen
                          Participant

                            I think one of the problems with pumpkin pie is the traditional pumpkin pie seasonings. When I make it, I only use cinnamon and vanilla. Nothing else. People who otherwise don't like pumpkin pie often like mine.

                            in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of November 19, 2023? #41111
                            RiversideLen
                            Participant

                              That looks good, Mike. I haven't had sweet potato pie in a long time.

                              Last night I made an apple pie. I used a refrigerated Pilsbury pie crust, the kind that comes rolled up. 2 pounds of Honeycrisp apples, seasoned with some cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg, a little granulated and brown sugars. Flour as the thickener. For the topping I used a half cup of rolled oats, 1/4 cup of AP flour, a cup of chopped pecans, half cup of brown sugar, a pinch of the same spices used in the pie, and 1/3 cup of walnut oil. I baked it at 375f on a preheated pizza stone set on the lowest oven rack, on a sheet of parchment in case of any spill over, loosely covered with a sheet of aluminum foil for most of the baking time. The bottom of the crust is perfectly browned, I'm very happy with how it turned out.

                              apple-pi

                              Attachments:
                              You must be logged in to view attached files.
                              in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of November 19, 2023? #41082
                              RiversideLen
                              Participant

                                Almost anything would have to improve kale. 🙂

                                lol, I like to steam kale and then season it with a little soy sauce and sesame seed oil.

                                I just finished stuffing some peppers, they are sitting in the fridge waiting for dinner time. I think I'm going to make potato (Yukon gold), probably roast as they can go in the oven with the peppers, and some broccoli and cauliflower.

                                in reply to: New USDA Hardiness Zones map #41068
                                RiversideLen
                                Participant

                                  Am also 6A but I don't know if that's a change.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 721 through 735 (of 2,650 total)