Thu. Oct 1st, 2026

RiversideLen

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 706 through 720 (of 2,650 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Interesting Article on Wild Nuts #41498
    RiversideLen
    Participant

      My mother in law had a couple of Black Walnut trees, they're still there, those things are squirrel magnets. I have a Bur Oak in the front yard, the chipmunks and squirrels go nuts over it. The sidewalk and yard get loads of acorn shells.

      in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of December 31, 2023? #41490
      RiversideLen
      Participant

        I hope that KA works out well for you, Joan!

        Tonight I had a stuffed pepper, roasted potato and a little broccoli.

        in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of December 31, 2023? #41477
        RiversideLen
        Participant

          For New Years Eve, I went to my neighbor's. We had roasted pork, potato pierogi's, sweet potato casserole and salad. Also, shrimp cocktail. I brought cup cakes and someone else brought an apple pie.

          Yesterday I made a veggie and chicken stir fry and had it with rice.

          Today I made stuffed peppers. I mixed some shredded carrots in with the meat mixture. They are about to go into the oven. I'm going to have one with pasta, I have some jarred sauce in the fridge that I want to use up.

          in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of December 31, 2023? #41476
          RiversideLen
          Participant

            I made a batch of sandwich/burger buns.

            in reply to: Pie Art #41460
            RiversideLen
            Participant

              That's amazing.

              in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of December 24, 2023? #41452
              RiversideLen
              Participant

                I baked chocolate cupcakes, topped with a white chocolate ganache to take to my neighbor's tomorrow.

                in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of December 24, 2023? #41417
                RiversideLen
                Participant

                  I pulled a 10 ounce steak from the freezer and ground it up and made stuffed peppers with it. Had one for tonight's dinner and one will be for tomorrow.

                  For Christmas, I was invited to a neighbor's, so that was no cooking for me but I did bring a pan of cookies (oatmeal coconut, oatmeal raisin, chocolate chip and Noel nut balls). We had Italian sausage, penne pasta, fried chicken, roast potatoes, and a real delicious eggplant parm. There were plant based meatballs there too but I missed them (one of their son's and daughter in law are plant based eaters but I saw her munch on a piece of fried chicken as they were getting ready to leave).

                  in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of December 17, 2023? #41391
                  RiversideLen
                  Participant

                    Yesterday I made a batch of oatmeal cookie dough and divided in half, I put coconut in one half and rum soaked raisins in the other half. I baked those and also baked the Noel Nut Balls and chocolate chip cookies.

                    in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of December 17, 2023? #41367
                    RiversideLen
                    Participant

                      Those croissants look great!

                      Last night I made a batch of dough for Martha Stewart's Noel Nut Balls. I have them portioned and frozen, to be baked probably on Friday. Today I made a batch of Alton Brown's chocolate chip cookies, The Puffy, again, portioned and in the freezer now, I will bake some of them on Friday and leave a few in the freezer for another occasion.

                      Also am making a batch of my sandwich/burger buns, they are waiting to go into the oven. I had both of my KitchenAid mixers going at the same time. I used the flex edge beater on the mini KA in which I made the cookie dough, that did a real good job, I didn't have to scrape down the sides of the bowl at all.

                      For yesterday's baking I needed 2 sticks of room temp butter but my butter was straight from the fridge. So I went on YouTube to look for tricks to soften it without melting it. I found several variations of this. You take a glass and pour very hot water in it and let it sit for a few minutes (to warm up the glass). Then you dump the water and stand the stick of butter up and then the empty but hot glass over it (don't let the butter touch the glass). Wait about 5 minutes and then you have softened but not melted butter. I tried it and it worked.

                      in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of December 17, 2023? #41335
                      RiversideLen
                      Participant

                        I made a spatchcock chicken this afternoon. I roasted it on a bed on celery, carrots and onion with a little water so I have enough juices to make gravy. I cut the wing tips off and put those in the bottom of the pan as well as the back to help flavor the pan juices.

                        Dinner will be chicken, rice and brussels sprouts.

                        chicken

                        The chicken is seasoned with a little salt and thyme.

                        Attachments:
                        You must be logged in to view attached files.
                        in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of December 10, 2023? #41313
                        RiversideLen
                        Participant

                          I got a new meat grinder for my KitchenAid mixers (the metal one, not the plastic). Yesterday I had a couple of strip steaks in the freezer that I decided to grind. The grinder worked beautifully. I made a smaller burger for yesterday's lunch (about 3 ounces) and it was very good. It does taste different from regular ground beef. I took the remaining meat (20 ounces) and used it to stuff 4 green pepper halves, which I had one for dinner yesterday with some pasta and broccoli. I made a small batch of pizza dough this afternoon and one of those stuffed peppers is going to find its way sliced onto a small cast iron skillet pizza.

                          If I had prepared those steaks as steaks, I would have had 2 meals from them. By grinding them I got one lunch and will have 4 dinners.

                          in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of December 10, 2023? #41312
                          RiversideLen
                          Participant

                            Some of them may have unrolled a little but I bet they are delicious.

                            in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of December 10, 2023? #41289
                            RiversideLen
                            Participant

                              I had chicken meatballs, broccoli, mashed potato and gravy.

                              in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of December 10, 2023? #41287
                              RiversideLen
                              Participant

                                I'm making a batch of burger/sandwich buns. They're all made up and waiting for them to raise up and then into the oven.

                                in reply to: Expiration dates #41281
                                RiversideLen
                                Participant

                                  I recently used a couple of cans of green beans that were more than a year past their expiration date. The cans were not bulged nor showed any signs of stress, the beans looked and smelled fine. While I try to use things within their expiration date, many things are fine past it.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 706 through 720 (of 2,650 total)