Pie Art

Home Forums Baking — Desserts Pie Art

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Those of us who are not very artistic can only look at a book like this and dream.

Spread the word
      cwcdesign
      Participant

Stunning!

navlys
        Participant

How can you cut in to something that beautiful?

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

When I went to Chocolate School, several chefs were working on fancy desserts, their work would be on the table at lunch time, and there were a couple of them that nobody wanted to cut into because they were so artistic, but they wanted comments about their taste as well as their appearance.

RiversideLen
            Participant

That's amazing.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I like the 'eye' one with the blueberries in the middle. An interesting take on a lattice crust. I also like the black-and-white crust that I think is a lattice.

There's an all-butter dough recipe in the sample available on Amazon, it uses an egg and some vinegar

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

Her dough recipe is available in the sample on Amazon, it's an all-butter crust with some egg and vinegar, she also suggests using either carbonated water or water with a pinch of cream of tartar in it.

I think she uses an egg white 'glue' to get the pieces to lay flat while baking.

There are a few other books on pie art, but this one looks like it has great pictures, too bad they don't give a sample of any of the pages covering the designs so you can tell how doable they are.

skeptic7
                  Participant

Thats beautiful.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Those pies look amazing.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

They are beautiful. I once or twice did small cut-out leaves using a press cookie cutter. However, the leaves tended to fall off when the pie was cut. I shall admire but not attempt to emulate her pie crusts and lovely decor.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I wonder if a little egg white would glue them down solidly?

That book does not appear to be in the Lincoln Public Library system's catalog.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

She has a website with some of her pies, some with instructions, and more pictures, including some of them after they're baked. There was an Elegant Pie calendar a few years ago but doesn't appear to be one for 2024.

She builds the fancy tops on a round flat surface then freezes it before transferring it to the top of the pie. And she does glue the loose pieces down with a little egg white.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.