What are you Cooking the Week of January 7, 2024?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of January 7, 2024?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

We've got a major snowstorm in the forecast here, I need to make sure we're provisioned up.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

I repeated last nights...Chargrilled hamburger patty and a salad with lots of Blue Cheese.

Praying for each of you that are in storms way to be safe.Been watching The Weather Channel all across the the US has had some bad winds, rain or snow.Hope you're all safe.We are expecting lot's of rain and winds here Tuesday.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I improvised a variation on Shepherd's Pie tonight to use up the leftover muddled mashed potatoes and gravy, along with some of the turkey. I made a doubled recipe of the white sauce that I use for my turkey lasagna and mixed in the gravy. I sautéed chopped carrots, celery, green onion, red bell pepper, mushrooms and kale in some olive oil. I added a heaping 2 cups of turkey, and then I threw in some leftover frozen corn and seasoned with ½ tsp. poultry seasoning. I combined it with the white sauce in a deep 9 x 9-inch-deep casserole baking dish. I spread the mashed potatoes over the top and baked for 40 minutes at 400 F. As I had feared, I used too much sauce; a 1 ½ recipe of it would have been enough. It was like eating a thick gravy stew. However, it was delicious, and perfect for a cold day that saw two inches of snow, the most significant amount we have had this season.

We are supposed to get serious snow on Tuesday, so we will be doing our major shopping trip tomorrow.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

I took BBQ from the freezer and had stewed squash and a big salad.

chocomouse
            Participant

We had haddock and roasted veggies: potato, parsnips, carrots, red peppers, onions, and Brussels sprouts. I used a garlic and rosemary seasoning packet from Stonewall Kitchen which was very good.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

We had leftovers as we watch the Washington-Michigan game.

RiversideLen
                Participant

I had ham and cheese on rye (my pizza crust is 25% rye, which might be more than commercially made rye bread).

Ham-Pizza

There was also mushrooms, green peppers and onions hiding under the cheese.

Attachments:
                  You must be logged in to view attached files.
                  BakerAunt
                  Participant

The pizza looks delicious, Len. I've noted that a lot of "rye" or "wholegrain" recipes actually use very little wholegrain flour.

We finished up leftovers from last night's dinner experiment. It does not look so great, but it is tasty.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

When I make marbled rye bread, I use Peter Reinhart's recipe in BBA, but I change it to 41% medium rye flour vs 30% white rye in the book. Above that and I find the dough doesn't rise as well.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

For dinner on Tuesday, I made Crispy Oven Baked Fish and Chips with Dill Tartar Sauce. We had microwaved fresh broccoli as well.

I also made yogurt on Tuesday.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Our light were out all day yesterday due to the storm so I had crackers and whatever was on the counter didn't want to open the fridge.Finally came on around 8 pm.Tonight I had pulled pork,squash and a big salad.

Pizza looks great Len.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

I'm glad that you got through the storm and power outage ok, Joan.

I made a turkey-vegetable barley soup for lunch on Wednesday. I will be eating it for lunch over the rest of the week.

For dinner on Wednesday, I cooked 1 ½ lbs. of large lima beans (soaked overnight) with the ham bone I had frozen from Christmas dinner. I combined it with cooked brown and wild rice and sauteed yellow bell pepper, celery, kale, dehydrated onion, and ½ tsp. thyme. Enough is leftover for at least three more meals and maybe four.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

We had baked pork chops with orange juice, brown sugar, mustard powder, salt and pepper. Yummy and a keeper recipe. These were bone-in, next time I'll probably try boneless chops.

We also had salad with artichoke hearts and olives.

https://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/2306/Orange-Baked-Pork-Chops108257.shtml

navlys
                              Participant

Since my husband and are sick with colds I made chicken soup with leftover rotisserie chicken. I did add onion, peas and noodles. Weather here in Florida is not great!

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

The pork chops recipe looked good Mike.

I was out today with my friend we ate out and I had a Reuben.

Navlys hope you and your husband feel better soon.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.