What are you Baking the Week of December 24, 2023?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of December 24, 2023?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

With the demise of Bed Bath & Beyond, Marshalls/Homegoods/TJ Maxx (all the same company) are where I go for kitchen products the most. Can't count on them having the latest of anything, though. (Even the kitchen places at the outlet mall near Omaha have closed.)

BakerAunt
      Participant

Chocomouse--One reason I dropped by so often at T.J. Maxx when we lived in Lubbock was that you never knew what you would find. Sometimes, it was nothing--particularly after Christmas! It was about a ten-minute drive in off-traffic times and close to the grocery stores. To go now, means a drive of an hour (one-way), and, of course, there may not be anything I want to buy. A Marshall's and a Ross are opening together across from the Walmart, one of the three places we hit for groceries in the next town, and I told my husband that we will need to add those stores to our trip. Of course, for those stores, he will sit in the car, but I can look through them quickly. He also knows that whenever we are in South Bend, we need to go to one or both T.J. Maxx stores, and also Home Goods (part of the same company). Last time we were there in October, it was Home Goods that had the better selection.

You can order from T.J. Maxx online, but it is not the same as wandering around and discovering, and the online selection is limited. Home Goods used to have an online presence, but they ended it before Christmas.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Just a note on the Eggnog Muffins with oil rather than butter--they are excellent the day after they are baked. The spices really do need the time to infuse the rest of the baked goods when oil is used. I'm pleased with my adaptation.

BakerAunt
          Participant

On Saturday, I baked "Mostly Whole Wheat Maple Buttermilk Bread," a recipe that I have posted at Nebraska Kitchen. I look forward to using a loaf of it for ham sandwiches on New Year's Eve.

RiversideLen
            Participant

I baked chocolate cupcakes, topped with a white chocolate ganache to take to my neighbor's tomorrow.

navlys
              Participant

BA what is the ratio of butter to avocado oil in baked goods? I notice avocado oil has become very popular. On another note my husband often sits in the car if I go to Homegoods too. The pressure to look fast drives me crazy.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Navyls--the ratio of oil to butter is 1/3 cup oil to 1/2 cup butter. That said, I usually substitute 2 Tbs. avocado oil for 3 Tbs. butter, although in some breads I've substituted 1:1 for small amounts. As Cass once told me, however, remember that oil, unlike butter, does not have water, so sometimes you may need to increase liquid slightly.

The substitution will not work so well in recipes that call for large amounts of butter or recipes where butter is integral to the structure. Shortbread is a good example.

For my oil pie crusts, I have found that all olive oil or all avocado oil makes the crust too greasy. Since the recipe calls for 1/2 cup of oil, I make half of that canola and the other half olive oil (apple and savory pies) or avocado oil (sweet pies, pumpkin pie).

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.